"Batman: "Forecast for Tonight... Murder"": Batman waits under the gang plank for a man known as the "Nemesis" to disembark from a freighter recently arrived from South Africa. But when Batman captures the final figure to leave the boat, he discovers it is not the
Appearing in Batman: "Forecast for Tonight... Murder"
- Allan Trevor (Single appearance)
- Gotham City Police Department
- Piet van Doorn (Single appearance) (Diamond Merchant)
Synopsis for Batman: "Forecast for Tonight... Murder"
Batman waits under the gang plank for a man known as the "Nemesis" to disembark from a freighter recently arrived from South Africa. But when Batman captures the final figure to leave the boat, he discovers it is not the man he is looking for. Instead, thanks to a Geiger counter he is carrying (the man he is after has worked years in a radioactive area), Batman realizes that his quarry is in a coffin that was just unloaded off the ship and sent out in a hearse.
While following the hearse, the Dark Knight recollects the week long events that brought him to this point: Commissioner Gordon contacting Batman to protect a diamond merchant named Piet Van Doorn, who has been receiving threatening letters from a man called the "Nemesis", a man thought dead 10 years ago when he attacked Van Doorm over a mutual diamond "find". Batman waits until the man in the coffin rises and captures him. He reports to Van Doorn that the man is in custody, much to the relief of the man who has been keeping himself in an impenetrable diamond vault since receiving the letters.
Later that night, Van Doorn is visited by Batman, who later reveals himself as Allan Trevor, the "Nemesis". Trevor manages to get Van Doorn to admit that he stabbed Trevor in his sleep and threw him in the river all those years ago and only with the help of savages did Trevor survive. The real Dark Knight arrives and tells Trevor he was aware that the man that was arrested earlier was a "ringer" and Trevor admits he has been in Gotham for months watching Van Doorn. The Dark Knight stops Trevor from stabbing Van Doorn and both are astonished to find the diamond merchant suffering from a stroke. Later, Batman tells Gordon he realized Trevor was not the man in the coffin when he saw that "Trevor" did not have a weapon on him when he arrived in the States.
Appearing in Batgirl: "Target for Manana"
- Odds Lanyon (First appearance)
- Garcia Da Vega (First appearance) (Commissioner of Mexico City)
- Carlos Da Vega (First appearance) (The Commissioner's Son)
Synopsis for Batgirl: "Target for Manana"
After aiding Batgirl in bushing up a narcotics operation in Gotham City, Jason Bard tells Batgirl that Commissioner Gordon and his daughter Barbara (who Bard doesn't know is really Batgirl) are traveling to Mexico to help police there dealing with drug operations. Traveling with her father to Mexico, they are unaware that their arrival has caught the attention of drug dealer Odd Layton.
Upon their arrival in Mexico City, Commissioner Gordon begins his meeting with Mexico City Commissioner Garcia Da Vega, while his son Carlos takes Barbara around to see the sights. At a Jai Alai match, Barbara first becomes aware of Odds, and how he knows Carlos by name (Carlos is in debt to Odds for gambling.) Later, when driving the Commissioner and Barbara to their hotel, Carlos' car is stopped by armed assailants. During the struggle, Commissioner Gordon manages to push Barbara to safety before being knocked out and captured.
Appearing in Captain Compass: "X Marks the Mystery"
- Pete Pettigrew (Single appearance)
- Roderick Allerton (Single appearance)
- Phoney Treasure Map
Synopsis for Captain Compass: "X Marks the Mystery"
This story is reprinted from Detective Comics #215.
Appearing in Gang Busters: "The Man Who Robbed a Thousand Minds"
- John Hollis
- Sgt. Welky
- Leroy Banks (Single appearance)
- Joe (Single appearance)
- T.J. Pears (Single appearance)
- Albert Jones (Single appearance)
- Bill Bailey (Single appearance)
Synopsis for Gang Busters: "The Man Who Robbed a Thousand Minds"
This story is reprinted from Gang Busters #57.
- "Target for Manana!" is reprinted in Showcase Presents: Batgirl Vol. 1.
- The "Batman's Hot-Line" letter section of this issue indicates that Neal Adams colored the first story in Detective Comics #416.
- Write your own review of this comic!
- Discuss Detective Comics Vol 1 420 on the forums
- Cover gallery for the Detective Comics series
- Batman (Volume 1)
- Batman (Volume 2)
- Batman (Volume 3)
- All-Star Batman
- Batman and Robin (Volume 1)
- Batman and Robin (Volume 2)
- Batman Confidential
- Batman: Gotham Knights
- Batman: Legends of the Dark Knight
- Batman: Shadow of the Bat
- Batman: Streets of Gotham
- Batman Incorporated (Volume 1)
- Batman Incorporated (Volume 2)
- Batman: The Dark Knight (Volume 1)
- Batman: The Dark Knight (Volume 2)
- Detective Comics (Volume 1)
- Detective Comics (Volume 2)
- Batman: The Dark Knight Returns
Links and References
- Detective Comics article at Wikipedia
- Detective Comics series index at DCU Guide
- Detective Comics series index at Comicbookdb.com
- Detective Comics series index at the Grand Comics Database Project