"Man-Bat Over Vegas!": An underground nuclear test in New Mexico sends shockwaves as far as Nevada, disrupting warrens occupied by swarms of vampire bats. The panic-stricken animals take to the air and descend atop Hoover Dam and the Las Vegas strip. Outside of a Vegas casino, a
Appearing in "Man-Bat Over Vegas!"
- Sam (Single appearance) (Casino Dweller)
- Thelma (Single appearance) (Casino Dweller)
- Chet (Single appearance) (Sheriff)
- Quint (Single appearance) (Mortician)
- Tammy (Single appearance) (A Dancer)
- Debbie (Single appearance) (A Dancer)
- Jim (Only appearance; dies) (Debbie's Fiance)
- Police helicopter
Synopsis for "Man-Bat Over Vegas!"
An underground nuclear test in New Mexico sends shockwaves as far as Nevada, disrupting warrens occupied by swarms of vampire bats. The panic-stricken animals take to the air and descend atop Hoover Dam and the Las Vegas strip. Outside of a Vegas casino, a man is found dead in an alley. His skin is pale and he has two puncture wounds on his neck.
In Gotham City, Bruce Wayne and Alfred monitor televised recordings of the bat phenomena and learn that Doctor Kirk Langstrom and his wife Francine have been called in to analyze the situation. Bruce suspects that Langstrom might be up to no good and decides to travel out west.
Sometime later, Batman conspires with a show girl named Debbie, former girlfriend of the "vampire" victim, Jim. Debbie agrees to act as bait for the Man-Bat. As suspected, the Man-Bat appears in the sky and swoops down on top of Debbie. Batman deflects the creature's attack with a batarang and the two combatants trade blows. The Man-Bat kicks Batman from the roof of the building and he is forced to slow his descent by desperately clutching at neon lights running laterally down the side of the building. He lands on the rooftop of an adjacent building. The Man-Bat pounces on top of him, but Batman turns the beast over, plunging it through a skylight onto the casino floor below. At this point, the Man-Bat decides to flee and flies off into the night. Batman commandeers a police helicopter and pursues it.
Batman flies the helicopter to Kirk Langstrom's base camp only to find the doctor resting peacefully inside his tent. He now realizes that it is not Langstrom who has become the Man-Bat, but rather, his wife Francine.
Batman and Langstrom go spelunking in one of the nearby caves where the Langstroms have been conducting their research. They find the She-Bat and Batman ensnares her with his Batrope. Francine is subdued and Batman decides that the only recourse left to them is to give Francine a full blood transfusion.
Appearing in "Case of the Loaded Case!"
- Unnamed Criminal (Single appearance)
- Harrison Baron (Only appearance; dies) (Wall Street Analyst)
Synopsis for "Case of the Loaded Case!"
Jason Bard is hired to guard, for 24 hours, a valise full of $100,000--in counterfeit money.
- A reproduction poster found in Man-Bat vs. Batman #1 establishes that the cover was illustrated by Frank Robbins. However, the cover art credits have been confirmed from Julius Schwartz's editorial records, provided by DC Comics.
- "Man-Bat Over Vegas!" is reprinted in Greatest Batman Stories Ever Told.
- Kirk Langstrom appeared last as the Man-Bat in Detective Comics #416. He appears next in Batman #254.
- Francine Langstrom appeared last in Detective Comics #416. She appears next in Man-Bat #1.
- No trivia.
- Write your own review of this comic!
- Discuss Detective Comics Vol 1 429 on the forums
- Cover gallery for the Detective Comics series
- Batman (Volume 1)
- Batman (Volume 2)
- Batman (Volume 3)
- Batman and Robin (Volume 1)
- Batman and Robin (Volume 2)
- Batman Confidential (Volume 1)
- Batman: Gotham Knights (Volume 1)
- Batman: Legends of the Dark Knight (Volume 1)
- Batman: Shadow of the Bat (Volume 1)
- Batman: Streets of Gotham (Volume 1)
- Batman Incorporated (Volume 1)
- Batman Incorporated (Volume 2)
- Batman/Superman (Volume 1)
- Batman: The Dark Knight (Volume 1)
- Batman: The Dark Knight (Volume 2)
- Brave and the Bold (Volume 1)
- Detective Comics (Volume 1)
- Detective Comics (Volume 2)
- Superman/Batman (Volume 1)
- World's Finest (Volume 1)