- For one night, two brutal slaying's occurred signaling the beginning of the end... the area known as park row acquired a new name-- Crime Alley and there is no hope in Crime Alley!
- -- Narrator
Appearing in "There is No Hope in Crime Alley!"
- Unnamed Mugger (Single appearance)
- Gooch (Single appearance)
- Alfie (Single appearance)
- Joe Chill (Flashback only)
- Harry (Single appearance)
- Unnamed Old Man (Single appearance)
- Martha Wayne (Flashback only)
- Thomas Wayne (Flashback only)
Synopsis for "There is No Hope in Crime Alley!"
Every night on this date, Batman abandons all other crimes and missions and secretly heads to visit Leslie Thompkins. En route, Batman stops a car radio theft and two muggings. When one of the muggers pulls a gun on him in Crime Alley, Batman loses his temper and knocks the mugger silly while having a flashback of his parents' murder and his "rescue" by a young Leslie Thompkins. He is brought back to reality by the current, elderly Leslie who knows Batman visits her annually but doesn't know why. Batman tells her it's a reminder of who he is. Batman asks Leslie why she stays in Crime Alley and she tells him that once she witnessed a terrible tragedy - a child whose parents were murdered before his eyes - and has devoted her life to trying to prevent another tragedy. Batman kisses her on the forehead calling her the hope of Crime Alley.
Appearing in "Make Way for the Elongated Woman!"
- Heather (Final appearance)
- Paul (Final appearance)
- Eddie (Final appearance)
- Dr. Prouty (Single appearance)
- Lt. Reynolds (Single appearance)
- Cape Crescent
- Dibny's Hotel Room
- Villain's Hideout
- Accordian Arms
- Collapsible Stilts
Synopsis for "Make Way for the Elongated Woman!"Previously while fighting the siblings, Ralph's powers wear off and he is captured. The villains demand he write Sue a note to bring him the source of his powers for the villains to use. He agrees but asks Sue to bring special rubber tree bark. Sue buys accordian arms and collapsible stilts, used under one of Ralph's costumes to make it look like she has the same powers (in truth, Sue is allergic to gingold). While the brothers eat the bark, Sue is locked in a room which happens to be over the room Ralph is locked in. Sue makes a hole in the floor with a nailfile and, using a medicine dropper, gets gingold to Ralph whose powers soon return. Ralph catches the villains easily.
- "There Is No Hope in Crime Alley!" is reprinted in Greatest Batman Stories Ever Told.
- According to the daily paper, Ralph and Sue rank third in a recent poll of the Ten Most Admired Couples. The other four couples shown are:
- Henry and Nancy Kissinger
- Paul Newman and Joanne Woodward
- David and Julie Eisenhower
- Queen Elizabeth and Prince Philip
- Sue fails to make the Top Ten Most Admired Women List.
- Write your own review of this comic!
- Discuss Detective Comics Vol 1 457 on the forums
- Cover gallery for the Detective Comics series
- Images from Detective Comics Vol 1 457
Links and References
- Detective Comics series index at Comicbookdb.com
- Detective Comics series index at the Grand Comics Database
- Detective Comics series index at the Unofficial Guide to the DC Universe
- Detective Comics series index at Mike's Amazing World of DC Comics