"Allies in the Shadows": After Batman has been dropped inside the mine and his fall was stopped by Blockbuster, Boss Dooley's henchmen explode some dynamite that causes a cave-in inside the mine. The townsfolk are alerted of the accident,
Appearing in "Allies in the Shadows"
- Mr. Dooley (Final appearance)
- Mickey (Final appearance)
- Ed (Final appearance)
- Willie Macon (Final appearance)
- Mrs. Macon (Single appearance)
- Carrie Macon (Single appearance)
- Sam (Single appearance)
Synopsis for "Allies in the Shadows"
After Batman has been dropped inside the mine and his fall was stopped by Blockbuster, Boss Dooley's henchmen explode some dynamite that causes a cave-in inside the mine. The townsfolk are alerted of the accident, but Dooley and his men make haste to their hideout.
The trapped men inside are badly injured, but the most affected is Willie Macon, the man who rescued Blockbuster and gave him a home. Batman tries to open a path to the surface in order to help Macon and Blockbuster overcomes his hatred of Batman because of his love of Macon is stronger.
Batman and Blockbuster work together and open the way until they clear the entrance of the mine, allowing all the miners to escape. Meanwhile, Dooley has been discussing his plan with his thugs when Macon's daughter overhears them and she tries to warn his folks. Dooley grabs her and prepares his car to escape the town, but Batman and Blockbuster once again work together to stop the crook. While Blockbuster is more concerned in saving the girl who has become like a sister to him, Batman rounds up the criminals and realizes that there is no need to take Mark Desmond back to Gotham City.
After having captured the criminals, Batman leaves West Virginia and the Blockbuster, to live in peace.
Appearing in "Chains of Guilt!"
- Randall Borowitz (Final appearance)
- Joey (Final appearance)
- Ernie (Final appearance)
- Chet (Single appearance)
- Jim Dover
- Doreen Gray
- Judge Davis (Single appearance)
Synopsis for "Chains of Guilt!"
Batgirl recovers her consciousness in time to realize that the criminals that have captured her, have chained her and are about to toss her into the river. Batgirl holds her breath as she goes underwater and she struggles to get her laser weapon from her Utility Belt, which she then uses to break the chains and swims to the surface.
After she recovers from the exhausting experience, Batgirl follows the only lead she has and goes to Detective Cameron's place, where she learns that a hearing on her case is about to take place in just a couple of hours. After finding a report on Cameron's place, Batgirl learns the identity of the person who framed her and tipped off Cameron. Batgirl makes haste to the villain's place and saves Barbara's personal assistant, Doreen, who was blackmailed to incriminate Barbara.
Batgirl and Doreen arrive just in time at the courthouse, where the judge has already started the session. Batgirl gives the judge the evidence she found and gives away the identity of the real murderer of Congressman Scanlon: Randal Borowitz. The man had been diverting federal funds into his own business and Scanlon learned the truth, which is why Borowitz had him killed. When the man attemts an escape, he is stopped by Barbara's boyfriend, Jim Dover and Batgirl takes this moment of distraction to make a quick change and appear at the hearing as Barbara Gordon. With enough evidence and Doreen as a wtiness, the whole case is closed and Barbara's name is cleared, but Commissioner Gordon is worried that she might not be able to keep her two identities concealed from everyone.
- "Allies in the Shadows" is reprinted in Tales of the Batman: Don Newton Vol 1.
- No trivia.
- Write your own review of this comic!
- Discuss Detective Comics Vol 1 499 on the forums
- Cover gallery for the Detective Comics series
- Batman (Volume 1)
- Batman (Volume 2)
- Batman (Volume 3)
- Batman and Robin (Volume 1)
- Batman and Robin (Volume 2)
- Batman Confidential (Volume 1)
- Batman: Gotham Knights (Volume 1)
- Batman: Legends of the Dark Knight (Volume 1)
- Batman: Shadow of the Bat (Volume 1)
- Batman: Streets of Gotham (Volume 1)
- Batman Incorporated (Volume 1)
- Batman Incorporated (Volume 2)
- Batman/Superman (Volume 1)
- Batman: The Dark Knight (Volume 1)
- Batman: The Dark Knight (Volume 2)
- Brave and the Bold (Volume 1)
- Detective Comics (Volume 1)
- Detective Comics (Volume 2)
- Superman/Batman (Volume 1)
- World's Finest (Volume 1)
Links and References
- No external links.