"Between Two Nights": While driving home in an unmarked vehicle, Harvey Bullock is once again victim of a murder attempt and this time, the bullet injures his arm, forcing him to crash the vehicle on the edge of the Gotham Bridge. Bullock uses the radio to call for
- I possess and control more money than any thousand people could reasonably spend in very long lifetimes. - It means nothing to me. I wouldn't shed a single tear if it all vanished this very second. Yet for one solid hour this afternoon... after they came and took Jason away from me... I broke down and wept. Money is fine gentlemen, but it isn't real.
- -- Bruce Wayne
Appearing in "Between Two Nights"
- Amanda Groscz
Synopsis for "Between Two Nights"
While driving home in an unmarked vehicle, Harvey Bullock is once again victim of a murder attempt and this time, the bullet injures his arm, forcing him to crash the vehicle on the edge of the Gotham Bridge. Bullock uses the radio to call for help while the assassin keeps firing at Bullock's vehicle. The plea for help is received by Batman and Robin and they arrive in time to save Bullock, but they are unable to capture the would-be killer. Meanwhile in his prison cell, Doctor Fang regrets that Bullock is not dead yet as part of his thugs' arrangement with Mayor Hill.
The next morning, Bullock goes to work with an injured arm and he is assigned to take Amanda Groscz from the Child Welfare Bureau to Wayne Manor in order to have Jason Todd taken away from Bruce Wayne, as the legal paperwork for the guardianship of the kid was not valid. When Bullock and Groscz turn up in Wayne Manor, Bruce and Jason are shocked, but the court order is legitimate and Jason is taken away of Bruce Wayne's custody, much to everyone's sorrow. A few minutes later, Bruce has Alfred call Lucius Fox to organize a meeting with the lawyers of Wayne Enterprises.
At night, the lawyers meet at Wayne Manor, where Bruce tells them to find a legal solution to recover Jason by any means necessary. Meanwhile, Bullock convinces Commissioner Gordon to summon Batman in order to help Bullock find and stop the killer. Like this, the Bat-Signal is activated, but Bruce refuses to answer the summons until he finds a solution to the Jason Todd problem. With the signal shining bright on Jason's temporary home window, he switches to his Robin identity and goes to the GCPD Headquarters, where he saves Bullock from a bullet for him. Bullock and Robin get into a car and start the vehicle, following the killer until they finally corner him. However, the killer gets the upper hand and he is about to shot them both when Batman appears and defeats the thug. Bullock proceeds to capture the ciminal, but Batman and Robin go on their separate ways as each of them have to return to their own places.
Appearing in "The Nightfly II: The Turn of an Unfriendly Card"
- Davy Chase (Final appearance)
- Death Dealer
- Becker (Final appearance)
Synopsis for "The Nightfly II: The Turn of an Unfriendly Card"
Oliver Queen saves himself and Wallace Hooper from the fire, then gets Hooper to tape his show a half-hour ahead of time to lure the Death Dealer back to the station. When the Dealer returns to finish the assassination, Green Arrow meets him and defeats him. Then he exposes station manager Becker as the employer of the Dealer. Becker confesses that he had been hired by the phone company to catch Hooper at a scam years before, but could not do it, and thus lost his investigations agency. Green Arrow captures Becker as well.
- "Between Two Nights" takes place after the events of Batman #375.
- No trivia.
- Write your own review of this comic!
- Discuss Detective Comics Vol 1 542 on the forums
- Cover gallery for the Detective Comics series
- Images from Detective Comics Vol 1 542
- Batman (Volume 1)
- Batman (Volume 2)
- Batman (Volume 3)
- Batman and Robin (Volume 1)
- Batman and Robin (Volume 2)
- Batman Confidential (Volume 1)
- Batman: Gotham Knights (Volume 1)
- Batman: Legends of the Dark Knight (Volume 1)
- Batman: Shadow of the Bat (Volume 1)
- Batman: Streets of Gotham (Volume 1)
- Batman Incorporated (Volume 1)
- Batman Incorporated (Volume 2)
- Batman/Superman (Volume 1)
- Batman: The Dark Knight (Volume 1)
- Batman: The Dark Knight (Volume 2)
- Brave and the Bold (Volume 1)
- Detective Comics (Volume 1)
- Detective Comics (Volume 2)
- Superman/Batman (Volume 1)
- World's Finest (Volume 1)
- More Fun Comics #73-107
- Green Arrow (Volume 1)
- Green Arrow (Volume 2)
- Green Arrow (Volume 3)
- Green Arrow (Volume 4)
- Green Arrow (Volume 5)
- Green Arrow (Volume 6)
- Green Arrow and Black Canary
- Green Arrow: The Wonder Year
- Green Arrow: The Longbow Hunters
- Green Arrow: Year One
- Connor Hawke: Dragon's Blood
- Black Canary (Volume 1)
- Black Canary (Volume 2)
- Black Canary (Volume 3)
Links and References
- No external links.