"The Night of Thanks, But No Thanks!": Batman attempts to go into action on a night when he really should have stayed in bed because during his nightly patrol all he comes across are situations, that despite initial appearances, involve no criminal activity. For this
Appearing in "The Night of Thanks, But No Thanks!"
- Batman (First appearance)
- Alfred Pennyworth (First appearance)
- Officer Schwartz (Single appearance)
- Charlene (Single appearance)
- Rick (Single appearance)
- Bernie (Single appearance)
Synopsis for "The Night of Thanks, But No Thanks!"
Batman attempts to go into action on a night when he really should have stayed in bed because during his nightly patrol all he comes across are situations, that despite initial appearances, involve no criminal activity. For this reason, his patrol ends up early and all he can do is complain about the situation to his trusted friend, Alfred.
Appearing in "The Face of Barricade!"
- Barricade (Final appearance; Dies)
Synopsis for "The Face of Barricade!"
Barricade reveals his countenance to be the face of a skull, and tells Green Arrow he was once Lars, the monk whom GA once fought over the Book of the Ages, whose forces reduced him to a skeletal state. He says that the Book was restored by the monks of his faction through alchemical means, and that the spell which skeletized him was reversed, as long as he remained in contact with the Book. With the Wisdom Key held within Onyx's headband, he can make the reversal permanent. Onyx, however, snatches her headband back, and Barricade leaves Green Arrow to grapple with her. The headband is then tossed to Black Canary, who has just arrived. Barricade overpowers her and snatches the headband, but Green Arrow uses his shafts to separate the Book of Ages from the pouch on Barricade's back in which it is carried. Barricade collapses into a mass of lifeless bones. Black Canary notes that the tiara does not carry the Wisdom Key any longer, and that Onyx is gone. Later, Onyx meets Tommy in the park, and gives him back the Wisdom Key, which she had stashed in his pocket for safekeeping during their kiss. Tommy indignantly says that Barricade could have hunted him down next. Onyx replies that, earlier, Tommy had tried to protect her from Barricade and wouldn't leave her. But now, she leaves him.
- "The Night of Thanks, But No Thanks!" is a story that writer Harlan Ellison promised to write for Julius Schwartz, during Schwartz's tenure as editor of Batman. However, Ellison delayed so much the script that it was published in this issue, eight years after Schwartz had left the Batman editorial office. For this reason, this story is dedicated to Julius Schwartz.
- "The Night of Thanks, But No Thanks!" is a continuity-light story that can easily fit into either the pre-Crisis or post-Crisis continuity. However, due to it being the first Batman story published after the pre-Crisis continuity got its big send-off in Batman #400, it is considered the first post-Crisis Batman story.
- This issue marks the end of Len Wein's run as editor of the Batman comics after four years, leaving the chores to Dennis O'Neil, who later became the group editor of the books until the end of the millennium.
- No trivia.
- Write your own review of this comic!
- Discuss Detective Comics Vol 1 567 on the forums
- Cover gallery for the Detective Comics series
- Batman (Volume 1)
- Batman (Volume 2)
- Batman (Volume 3)
- Batman and Robin (Volume 1)
- Batman and Robin (Volume 2)
- Batman Confidential (Volume 1)
- Batman: Gotham Knights (Volume 1)
- Batman: Legends of the Dark Knight (Volume 1)
- Batman: Shadow of the Bat (Volume 1)
- Batman: Streets of Gotham (Volume 1)
- Batman Incorporated (Volume 1)
- Batman Incorporated (Volume 2)
- Batman/Superman (Volume 1)
- Batman: The Dark Knight (Volume 1)
- Batman: The Dark Knight (Volume 2)
- Brave and the Bold (Volume 1)
- Detective Comics (Volume 1)
- Detective Comics (Volume 2)
- Superman/Batman (Volume 1)
- World's Finest (Volume 1)
- More Fun Comics #73-107
- Green Arrow (Volume 1)
- Green Arrow (Volume 2)
- Green Arrow (Volume 3)
- Green Arrow (Volume 4)
- Green Arrow (Volume 5)
- Green Arrow (Volume 6)
- Green Arrow and Black Canary
- Green Arrow: The Wonder Year
- Green Arrow: The Longbow Hunters
- Green Arrow: Year One
- Connor Hawke: Dragon's Blood
- Black Canary (Volume 1)
- Black Canary (Volume 2)
- Black Canary (Volume 3)
Links and References
- No external links.
- ↑ Man of Two Worlds; 2000 (Schwartz Autobiography)