- My life is sworn to fighting crime... and protecting the people from its ravages. Not "saving the world." The day I can "hang up my cape and stay home" is the day I'm working toward.
- -- Batman
Appearing in "Eyrie"
- Doctor Baird (Single appearance)
Synopsis for "Eyrie"
The Gotham University campus is terrorized by violent falcons. Batman and Robin watch a political rally held by G. Gordon Godfrey, who decries all superheroes. Godfrey insists that superheroes are holding humanity back, and they will witness the triumph of the common man once all superheroes have been eliminated. There is massive support growing for his movement. Robin makes an off-hand quip about wanting to retire, and Batman mentions that he does hope to retire someday. Robin is surprised, and asks Batman how he can retire when he's dedicated his life to saving the world. Batman explains that he swore to fight crime and protect people from its ravages. He looks forward to the day he can hang up his cape. They spot one of the birds attacking a student, and Batman lassos the bird. It's revealed that someone broke into the Natural Science Building and the falcons escaped. Batman rushes to investigate, but tells Robin to stay behind with the wounded student. This angers Robin, but Batman insists that protecting the victims of crime is always more important than catching criminals.
It's revealed that the Penguin is behind this scheme. The Penguin has kidnapped a bird scientist guy named Doctor Baird, who is breeding experimental peregrines for a wealthy financier. The birds are extremely rare, and Penguin plans to hold them hostage with Baird for a large sum. Then Batman bursts in and kicks a dude in the face! Batman starts beating up on these guys with a bo stick, and kicks their butts. The Penguin threatens to kill Baird with his umbrella sword unless Batman backs off. Batman is forced to let the Penguin escape.
Batman does extensive research on all sorts of falcon stuff to figure out where they're hiding. Something about the nesting habits or whatever leads Batman to the Penguin's hideout on top of a skyscraper. You know, one of those empty skyscraper penthouses just lying around? The Penguin and his men wait for Baird's Arab shiek financier to pay their ransom. Batman attacks what he thinks is the Penguin, but this is a decoy statue and Batman falls through a trap door. The Penguin has his falcons attack Batman. Baird begins to break out of his bonds using a table knife. Batman has some kind of sound gadget that makes the falcons flee in terror. Baird sneakily puts falcon bait in the back of Penguin's pants. Together, Batman and Baird get the birds to attack the Penguin instead. The Penguin's henchmen are easily dispatched with more kicks to the face. Batman throws a net over the falcons, and throws a net over the Penguin.
The next day, Bruce Wayne and Jason Todd watch the news in Wayne Manor. They are reporting on the Godfrey rally, and they mention that Batman and Robin were seen watching. Jason asks Bruce if Bruce thinks Godfrey is right. Bruce says that Godfrey is right about one thing. He was surprised by Doctor Baird's resourcefulness and skill in dealing with adversity. Bruce says that the "triumph of the common man" is assured, whether or not there's a Batman to help him.
- This is "chapter 2" of the Legends crossover. The previous chapter was Batman #401. The next chapter is Green Lantern Corps #207.
- This issue takes place prior to Legends #1.
- This story takes place following the Crisis on Infinite Earths, which erased Earth-One continuity and replaced it with New Earth continuity. There is no direct reference in the Detective Comics series, so it is difficult to figure out where Pre-Crisis continuity ends and Post-Crisis continuity starts. The Legends crossover is the first issue of Detective Comics that explicitly takes place in the new continuity.
- The politician who speaks at the Godfrey rally does not look like G. Gordon Godfrey. This is possibly intentional, or possibly an artist mistake.
- Write your own review of this comic!
- Discuss Detective Comics Vol 1 568 on the forums
- Cover gallery for the Detective Comics series
- Images from Detective Comics Vol 1 568
- Batman (Volume 1)
- Batman (Volume 2)
- Batman (Volume 3)
- All-Star Batman
- Batman and Robin (Volume 1)
- Batman and Robin (Volume 2)
- Batman Confidential
- Batman: Gotham Knights
- Batman: Legends of the Dark Knight
- Batman: Shadow of the Bat
- Batman: Streets of Gotham
- Batman Incorporated (Volume 1)
- Batman Incorporated (Volume 2)
- Batman: The Dark Knight (Volume 1)
- Batman: The Dark Knight (Volume 2)
- Detective Comics (Volume 1)
- Detective Comics (Volume 2)
- Batman: The Dark Knight Returns
Links and References
- Batman at Wikipedia.org
- Batman at DC Comics
- Batman at DCU Guide
- Batman at Newsarama
- Batman at DC Indexes
- Batman at Comic Book Resources
- Batman Yesterday Today and Beyond
- Batman at TV Tropes
- Legends (comics) at Wikipedia.org
- Legends at the DCU Guide
[[Category:Legends|Detective Comics Vol 1 0568]]