"Batman: Year Two - Chapter One: Fear the Reaper": James Gordon has just been appointed as the new Police Commissioner of Gotham City and he informs the media that his department will work closely with Batman and that for such purpose, he
Appearing in "Batman: Year Two - Chapter One: Fear the Reaper"
- The Reaper (First appearance)
- Crime Alley (Flashback only)
- GCPD Headquarters
- Wayne Foundation (First appearance chronologically)
- Wayne Manor
- Bank Street (First appearance)
Synopsis for "Batman: Year Two - Chapter One: Fear the Reaper"
James Gordon has just been appointed as the new Police Commissioner of Gotham City and he informs the media that his department will work closely with Batman and that for such purpose, he has installed the Bat-Signal on the rooftop of the GCPD Headquarters. The media however, critizices Gordon's decision as the public eye sees no difference between Batman and the former vigilante known as The Reaper, who used to work in Gotham. Meanwhile, Batman continues his crusade, stopping crime and evil in all its forms.
Elsewhere, Rachel Caspian is glad to receive her fatheer, Judson back home after his long absence. The next day, Rachel joins Leslie Thompkins, who introduces her to Bruce Wayne, hoping that Bruce would become a benefactor for Rachel's charity organization. Bruce is charmed by Rachel's dedication to rid the world of evil and he attemtps to approach at her, but learns that she will soon become a nun and he puts an end to his efforts. When Rachel returns home, she is informed that her father has gone out.
Judson Caspian walks the crime ridden streets of Gotham and upon returning home, he goes to a secret place in his house and opens a panel that reveals The Reaper's outfit inside. Taking up the mantle he abandoned years ago, Judson becomes The Reaper again and resumes his unholy crusade. As soon as this happens, Batman is summoned to the GCPD, where he is informed of this "new Reaper"'s activities. Gordon is convinced that there is someone else impersonating the former vigilante, but because of the patterns of the crimes, Batman deduces that this is the original Reaper.
Going to Bank Street, where the Reaper was first spotted, Batman locates the Reaper about to murder some prostitutes and he stops the killer. During the ensuing fight, Batman is beaten to a pulp and massacred by The Reaper, whose armor and weapons make him a formidable opponent. Batman is barely able to escape alive via the sewer system. Batman manages to crawl back to Wayne Manor, where Alfred and Leslie heal his wounds until he fully recovers. Upon recovering his strength, Bruce takes the decision to fight fire with fire and he chooses to confront The Reaper using Joe Chill's gun, the same that murdered his parents and he later retrieved from the crime scene.
- This issue is part of the Batman: Year Two storyline. This storyline was erased from canon continuity by the events of Zero Hour. Years later, the Infinite Crisis restored some elements erased in Zero Hour, but this storyline most likely remains apocryphal.
- This issue is reprinted in Batman: Year Two, Batman: Year Two - Fear the Reaper, DC Retroactive: Batman-The '80s #1 and Batman: Year Two 30th Anniversary Deluxe Edition.
- No trivia.
- Write your own review of this comic!
- Discuss Detective Comics Vol 1 575 on the forums
- Cover gallery for the Detective Comics series
- Images from Detective Comics Vol 1 575
Links and References
- No external links.
|Part 1: Detective Comics #575||Part 2: Detective Comics #576||Part 3: Detective Comics #577||Part 4: Detective Comics #578|