"The Ratcatcher": Deep inside the sewers of Gotham City, four men sit in makeshift cells, prisoners of a deranged man who calls himself The Ratcatcher. Among his prisoners is a man who has long gone blind from his captor's mistreatment and Judge Wyatt Hogan, wh
Appearing in "The Ratcatcher"
- Judge Wyatt Hogan (Single appearance)
- The Ratcatcher (First appearance)
- Tubbs (Single appearance)
- Pinder (Single appearance)
- Cornelius Budd (First appearance; unnamed)
- Sergeant Sam Bellow (First appearance; unnamed)
- Stanley Konik (First appearance; unnamed)
- Gotham City Police Department
- Lonnie (Single appearance)
- Gotham Sewers
Synopsis for "The Ratcatcher"
Deep inside the sewers of Gotham City, four men sit in makeshift cells, prisoners of a deranged man who calls himself The Ratcatcher. Among his prisoners is a man who has long gone blind from his captor's mistreatment and Judge Wyatt Hogan, who manages to escape his cell, but is spotted by the Ratcatcher. As the "fugitive" desperately searches for a way to the surface, the Ratcatcher, along with hundreds of well-trained rats, pursue him.
Judge Hogan eventually escapes from the sewers, but is mauled by the Ratcatcher's rats moments later. His screams alert Batman, who had been foiling an arms deal nearby; but by the time the Dark Knight finds him, the rats have already torn him to shreds. While the GCPD take over the scene and identify the rats' victim as judge Wyatt Hogan, Batman follows the rats back into the sewers, where he meets their self-proclaimed master.
Upon seeing his newest "guest", the Ratcatcher decides that Batman is a threat to his plans and orders his rats to attack. Batman is briefly overwhelmed, but manages to drive the rats off with a flare from his Utility Belt. In retaliation, the Ratcatcher opens a floodgate, intending to drown Batman with hundreds of gallons of sewer water.
- This book was first published on January 5, 1988.
- This issue is reprinted in Legends of the Dark Knight: Norm Breyfogle Vol. 1 and in Batman: The Dark Knight Detective, Vol. 2.
- No trivia.
- Write your own review of this comic!
- Discuss Detective Comics Vol 1 585 on the forums
- Cover gallery for the Detective Comics series
Links and References
- No external links.