"Video Nasties": Batman stops three guys from beating a college student and recovers a camcorder that was filming the event. Back at GCPD Headquarters, as the Dark Knight, Commissioner Gordon, and [[Stanley Kitch (New Earth)|Lieutenant
Appearing in "Video Nasties"
- Milton Sladek (First appearance)
- Oscar Lampet (First appearance)
- Tonka (First appearance)
- Arch Gaines (Single appearance)
- Barr (Single appearance)
- Dirk (Single appearance)
Synopsis for "Video Nasties"
Batman stops three guys from beating a college student and recovers a camcorder that was filming the event. Back at GCPD Headquarters, as the Dark Knight, Commissioner Gordon, and Lieutenant Stanley Kitch watch the video, Batman spots a clue that helps him track down the film maker.
Elsewhere at that moment, a man named Milton Sladek learns about the film maker’s “little fiasco” and sets up a new scene with the help of a muscle named Tonka. After spending some time as Bruce Wayne at the Southside Boy’s Club watching young street kids train in the art of boxing, Batman spends the early part of the night staking out the video store that belongs to one Oscar Lampet.
At closing time, Batman follows Lampet and when another “scene” seems to be playing out; the Dark Knight swoops down on the two “attackers” and confronts Lampet. But from behind, Batman is attacked by Tonka. The huge man batters the Dark Knight as Lampet begins filming. Suddenly, Batman is distracted by strange lights he sees in the sky as Tonka delivers another solid blow to the Dark Knight.
- This issue is the first Batman publication by notorious Batman artist Eduardo Barreto.
- The strange lights Batman sees in the sky at issue's end is the detonation of the Gene Bomb as shown in Invasion! #3.
- This issue contains several references to Hollywood personalities as well as the Tom and Jerry franchise. Some of the actors' references are Arnold Schwarzenegger, Sylvester Stallone, Chuck Norris, Bruce Lee and Clint Eastwood.
- The name of the muscleman "Tonka" is probably a reference to the American producer of toy trucks of the same name.
- Write your own review of this comic!
- Discuss Detective Comics Vol 1 596 on the forums
- Cover gallery for the Detective Comics series
Links and References
- No external links.