Ad blocker interference detected!
Wikia is a free-to-use site that makes money from advertising. We have a modified experience for viewers using ad blockers
Wikia is not accessible if you’ve made further modifications. Remove the custom ad blocker rule(s) and the page will load as expected.
""The Devil You Know"": Jean-Paul Valley is determined to find Bane and bring him down. Part of his motivation stems from a need to prove himself as the new Batman. He visits Commissioner Gordon at [[GCPD Headquar
Appearing in "The Devil You Know"
Synopsis for "The Devil You Know"
Jean-Paul Valley is determined to find Bane and bring him down. Part of his motivation stems from a need to prove himself as the new Batman. He visits Commissioner Gordon at Gotham City Police Headquarters, hoping to find out if Bane's recently captured Henchman have given him up.
Though Bullock and Kitch have questioned them for nearly 24 hours, the hoods seem unlikely to talk. Batman asks where the underlings are being held, but when Gordon finishes telling him, he realizes that, uncharacteristically, Batman is still in the room. He begins to suspect that this is a different Batman than he is used to dealing with.
After being questioned, Zombie, Trogg and Bird are returned to their cells. Suddenly, a bag containing a gas mask falls into Bird's cell with a note saying "Watch and wait. - B." Believing that their boss has decided to spring them, Bird dons the mask, and a smoke grenade goes off outside the cell, giving him the chance to spring his friends. All the while, the Batman watches from a safe distance.
At Drake Manor, Tim Drake has to cover for his father's kidnapping in front of the housekeeper, Mrs. McIlvaine. However, Tim has difficulties masking his concern, with his father and Dr. Shondra Kinsolving kidnapped, and his broken mentor Bruce Wayne gone to look for them in Santa Prisca with Alfred Pennyworth. Despite the fact that Jean-Paul has made it clear that Robin is not a welcome partner, Tim concludes that Bruce Wayne is the only man who can take his role away from him, and that he will continue.
Bane's henchmen return to his hideout, but he professes no knowledge of their escape. Obviously, Batman helped them to escape so that they would lead him to Bane. Moments later, the Batman bursts through the window. He takes out the goons, and is suddenly struck by Bane. Bane is annoyed that he must face what he believes is a pretender. Jean-Paul claims that he is the only Batman worth concerning himself with. Jean-Paul's aggressiveness and apparent willingness to kill amuses Bane, who suggests that this pretender could bring ruin to the Batman's name - knowing well that Bruce Wayne would never kill.
Despite Jean-Paul's confidence in his abilities, Bane soon has him at his mercy. He prepares to drop Jean-Paul from a great height to his death below.
- This issue is Chapter Eighteen of the "Knightfall" Saga. The story continues in Batman #500.
- This issue is reprinted in Batman: Knightfall Part Two - Who Rules the Night and in Batman: Knightfall Volume One.
- The story subtitle fits in with the issue number, which according to the Holy Bible is the "number of the beast", normally associated with the Devil.
- On page 19, on the first panel's background can be seen a store named "Comics 'R Us"; as the real life store Toys 'R Us.
- Write your own review of this comic!
- Discuss Detective Comics Vol 1 666 on the forums
- Cover gallery for the Detective Comics series
- Images from Detective Comics Vol 1 666
- Batman (Volume 1)
- Batman (Volume 2)
- Batman (Volume 3)
- All-Star Batman
- Batman and Robin (Volume 1)
- Batman and Robin (Volume 2)
- Batman Confidential
- Batman: Gotham Knights
- Batman: Legends of the Dark Knight
- Batman: Shadow of the Bat
- Batman: Streets of Gotham
- Batman Incorporated (Volume 1)
- Batman Incorporated (Volume 2)
- Batman: The Dark Knight (Volume 1)
- Batman: The Dark Knight (Volume 2)
- Detective Comics (Volume 1)
- Detective Comics (Volume 2)
- Batman: The Dark Knight Returns
Links and References
- No external links.
[[Category:Batman: Knightfall|Detective Comics Vol 1 0666]]
|Knightfall Saga Crossover|
This comic issue is a part of the massive Knightfall crossover event. Knightfall consisted of three parts, Knightfall, Knightquest, and KnightsEnd. The trilogy involved Batman's back being broken by Bane, the debut and subsequent descent into madness of Bruce Wayne's successor Batman Jean-Paul Valley, and Bruce Wayne's recovery and reclamation of his former title, combatting Valley himself. This template will categorize articles that include it into the "Knightfall Crossover" category.