Ad blocker interference detected!
Wikia is a free-to-use site that makes money from advertising. We have a modified experience for viewers using ad blockers
Wikia is not accessible if you’ve made further modifications. Remove the custom ad blocker rule(s) and the page will load as expected.
"Fool's Errand": Batman is working on a case related to an Arkham Asylum ex-con who kidnaps a little girl. Batman learns that the abductor committed suicide and he decides to search for clues in the only place that might hold answers; Arkham. Upon arriving, Batman
- I know you, Batman. When you approach a hostage situation like I put you in tonight -- you probably assume the victim is already dead. Oh, sure, you do everything you can to save them anyway, because that's you. But you don't really dare hope, do you? After tonight, though -- you'll never be able to do that again. Will you?
- -- Joker
Appearing in "Fool's Errand"
- James Gordon (Voice only)
Synopsis for "Fool's Errand"
Batman is working on a case related to an Arkham Asylum ex-con who kidnaps a little girl. Batman learns that the abductor committed suicide and he decides to search for clues in the only place that might hold answers; Arkham. Upon arriving, Batman learns that the released inmate cell was the one nearby the Joker's cell and then he decides to question the clown in order to get some answers about the little girl's whereabout. Joker starts playing mind games with Batman and the dark knight learns that the abduction was a Joker plan from the beginning and that the ex-con was just used by the Joker. Batman deduced that the Joker planned it all along due to the date, which was the anniversary of death of Jason Todd. After a while, Batman refuses to play the Joker's game and simply asks him the location of the girl, and the Joker, realizing that the "fun" has ended, gives the exact place to Batman.
Batman rushes to the given address and fights his way through several henchmen to finally save the little girl who was trapped inside the truck of a car in a drowning boat.
After all was said and done, Batman asked the Joker why he gave away the place without any hesitation or double-crossing intentions, and the Joker told Batman that knowing him as only the Joker does, he knew that Batman would expect to find the girl dead but after the events of that night, Joker knew that Batman would always think twice before assumming the worst in a hostage situation.
- This issue is reprinted in The Joker: A Celebration of 75 Years and in Batman: Road to No Man's Land Vol. 1 (Collected).
- It is stated that the date in the story is the anniversary of death of Jason Todd; the second Robin, at the hands of The Joker.
- Write your own review of this comic!
- Discuss Detective Comics Vol 1 726 on the forums
- Cover gallery for the Detective Comics series
- Batman (Volume 1)
- Batman (Volume 2)
- Batman (Volume 3)
- All-Star Batman
- Batman and Robin (Volume 1)
- Batman and Robin (Volume 2)
- Batman Confidential
- Batman: Gotham Knights
- Batman: Legends of the Dark Knight
- Batman: Shadow of the Bat
- Batman: Streets of Gotham
- Batman Incorporated (Volume 1)
- Batman Incorporated (Volume 2)
- Batman: The Dark Knight (Volume 1)
- Batman: The Dark Knight (Volume 2)
- Detective Comics (Volume 1)
- Detective Comics (Volume 2)
- Batman: The Dark Knight Returns
- Batman: The Killing Joke
- Batman: The Man Who Laughs
- Batman: Lovers and Madmen
- Batman: A Death in the Family
- Joker: Devil's Advocate
- Arkham Asylum: A Serious House on Serious Earth
- The Joker's Last Laugh
- Superman: Emperor Joker
- Superman/Batman: With a Vengeance!
- The Greatest Joker Stories Ever Told
- Joker (Graphic Novel)
Links and References
- Batman at Wikipedia.org
- Batman at DC Comics
- Batman at DCU Guide
- Batman at Newsarama
- Batman at DC Indexes
- Batman at Comic Book Resources
- Batman Yesterday Today and Beyond
- Batman at TV Tropes
|Batman: Cataclysm Crossover|
This issue is a part of the Cataclysm crossover that swept through all Batman Family Titles during 1998. Gotham City was almost completely destroyed by a massive earthquake. This story led into the events that would eventually create No Man's Land.