- Fascinating. I never would have imagined that their fear and hopelessness would drive them to this. It is a more hideous reaction than I ever dared dream. Now I aim to become a martyr to my own solitary cause! How positively glorious...!
- -- Scarecrow
Appearing in "Fear of Faith, Part 4: Be Not Afraid"
- Helena Bertinelli (As Huntress and Batgirl)
- Commissioner Gordon
- Sarah Essen
- Blue Boys
- Father Christian Sounder
- Father Papaleo
Synopsis for "Fear of Faith, Part 4: Be Not Afraid"
Continuing directly from Batman #564, Father Chris is confronting the False Facers alone while the people in the refugee center, under the leadership of Scarecrow are taking the guns and are ready to fight. Although it seems that Chris has been shot, Penguin's gang shows up to shoot the False Facers and take Chris hostage. Huntress ushers the people back into the center, but Scarecrow is still trying to incite them. She realizes that she'll have to save Father Chris herself before the people get themselves killed.
As Batman watches the hostage situation, he notices that the Blue Boys have shown up, and worries that a gang war may erupt. While everyone watches, Huntress takes down part of the Penguin's gang, but is unable to completely get Father Chris to safety. As the people get ready for a fight in the center, gunshots actually come from behind the Penguin gang, as Leo, the False Facers' leader survived. Everyone takes cover again, as an unseen figure approaches Leo.
While everyone is under cover, an unknown man calls to the Penguin gang and asks to trade his gun for Father Chris. The gang shoot him, but unseen by them, Huntress has rescued Chris and brought him into the center. Leo reveals himself to Huntress and Father Chris, and outside as the Penguin gang check on the man they shot, he turns out to be Batman, who fights them. Although the Blue Boys are ready to help, Batman sends a smoke bomb at them in order to keep more people from being killed. He sends a message to Penguin with his men, telling him the area is off limits, permanently. Gordon and the Blue Boys pull back, knowing the area is safe.
Inside the center, Leo tells everyone that Scarecrow had told the gang that the weapons were there. Although the people look ready to kill him, Father Papaleo convinces Huntress to step in and stop it. The people, now faithful, forgive Scarecrow. He is upset that his plans failed and leaves the center.
Later the Penguin's gang informs him what happened, and that Father Chris and the people dumped the weapons into the river. Walking alone, Scarecrow is afraid of everything. Although he warms himself by a barrel fire, his clothes are accidentally set on fire. As he removes them, he laments to himself saying "No...Scarecrow?" Later, Batman brings Batgirl into his makeshift Batcave, showing his trust for her. She realizes it is not the true Batcave and he tells her that these days he has to be flexible, revealing that they are located in Arkham Asylum.
- This is the final part of the Fear of Faith story arc, which happened during the No Man's Land storyline. It concludes the story which began in Legends of the Dark Knight #116 and continued in Shadow of the Bat #84 and Batman #564.
- No trivia.
- Write your own review of this comic!
- Discuss Detective Comics Vol 1 731 on the forums
- Cover gallery for the Detective Comics series
- Batman (Volume 1)
- Batman (Volume 2)
- Batman and Robin (Volume 1)
- Batman and Robin (Volume 2)
- Batman Confidential
- Batman: Gotham Knights
- Batman: Legends of the Dark Knight
- Batman: Shadow of the Bat
- Batman: Streets of Gotham
- Batman Incorporated
- Batman: The Dark Knight (Volume 1)
- Batman: The Dark Knight (Volume 2)
- Detective Comics (Volume 1)
- Detective Comics (Volume 2)
- Batman: The Dark Knight Returns (Volume )
Links and References
- No external links.
|No Man's Land Crossover|
This issue is a part of the Batman: No Man's Land crossover that swept through all Batman Family Titles during 1999. Gotham City was declared by the President to be no longer a part of the United States after the combined disasters of Contagion, Legacy and Cataclysm.