- I swore an oath to fight for justice and I don't know how to keep that oath. Or even if I can. What good is an oath if it tears you apart?
- -- Batman
Appearing in "Shades of Grey"
- Batman (Flashback and main story)
- Alfred (Flashback and main story)
- Thomas Wayne (Flashback only)
- Martha Wayne (Flashback only)
- Genevieve (Single appearance)
- Catherine (Single appearance)
- Thomas (baby) (Single appearance)
- Lou Peck (Flashback only) (Single appearance)
- Gotham City (Flashback and main story)
Synopsis for "Shades of Grey"
When post-NML dated food begins showing up, Penguin realizes he has competition.
Batman catched a man beating another man to death. The killer was willing to go to Blackgate Penitentiary and Batman realized that was very suspicious. Batman stopped to check the dead man and realized that he has been dead for days and then asked the supposed killer why did he pretend to kill the man. He answered that he was willing to go to prison in order to be protected, to be safe and to have food. Batman left the man on the street and was confused about the situation.
Batman rescues an infant from two women quarreling over guardianship of it. Batgirl finds Batman and gives Gordon's message to him. Alfred tells him a story about his father, so that Batman can decide what to do with the baby.
Later, Batgirl finds the unprotected man and told him to move over to GCPD territory and find his protection over there by working and helping out the community as he could. The man did as he was told and thanked Batgirl before leaving.
Batman returned the baby and asked the two women what were they willing to do to keep the baby; when they answered that they would do anything to keep him, Batman told them that they must work together to raise the baby. The women agree and it is then revealed that the baby's name is Thomas; like Bruce's father.
- The events of this issue take place after Batman: Shadow of the Bat #86. No Man's Land continues in Azrael: Agent of the Bat #52.
- There is a reference to Solomon's Wisdom.
- In one of the flashbacks, Thomas Wayne is playing with kid Bruce and a clown toy that looks like The Joker.
- Write your own review of this comic!
- Discuss Detective Comics Vol 1 733 on the forums
- Cover gallery for the Detective Comics series
- Batman (Volume 1)
- Batman (Volume 2)
- Batman (Volume 3)
- All-Star Batman
- Batman and Robin (Volume 1)
- Batman and Robin (Volume 2)
- Batman Confidential
- Batman: Gotham Knights
- Batman: Legends of the Dark Knight
- Batman: Shadow of the Bat
- Batman: Streets of Gotham
- Batman Incorporated (Volume 1)
- Batman Incorporated (Volume 2)
- Batman: The Dark Knight (Volume 1)
- Batman: The Dark Knight (Volume 2)
- Detective Comics (Volume 1)
- Detective Comics (Volume 2)
- Batman: The Dark Knight Returns
Links and References
- No external links.
|No Man's Land Crossover|
This issue is a part of the Batman: No Man's Land crossover that swept through all Batman Family Titles during 1999. Gotham City was declared by the President to be no longer a part of the United States after the combined disasters of Contagion, Legacy and Cataclysm.