"Endgame, Part Three: ...Sleep In Heavenly Peace...": The Joker was pointing his gun to a defeated Huntress and was ready to kill her when Batman arrived, disarmed him and saved Huntress from a certain death. How
Appearing in "Endgame, Part Three: ...Sleep In Heavenly Peace..."
Synopsis for "Endgame, Part Three: ...Sleep In Heavenly Peace..."
The Joker was pointing his gun to a defeated Huntress and was ready to kill her when Batman arrived, disarmed him and saved Huntress from a certain death. However, Huntress condition was bad and Batman let the Joker and Harley Quinn escape to check on her. She told Batman that Joker was there for the babies and Batman acknowledged Huntress' sacrifice before Nightwing carried her to Dr. Thomkin's medical centre. Meanwhile, Batman went to Oracle's Watchtower and informed Oracle, Commissioner Gordon and Sarah Essen that Joker attacked Pettit's camp. Batman told them what Huntress said about the babies and they all decided to meet with their forces at the GCPD Headquarters.
Later, the Batman Family and the Gotham City Police Department was gathered outside the GCPD HQ and they were planning their next move when Joker appeared in a nearby rooftop and told them that he had hidden the babies all across Gotham City and that they must look for them before he killed the babies. Everybody moved to look for the babies and Batman followed Joker. However, Batman was tricked by Joker and he followed a fake trail while Joker sneaked into the GCPD HQ when nobody was left there.
Robin, Nightwing, Bullock and Montoya looked for the babies in possible locations, but all they found were booby trapped baby-dolls. Commisioner Gordon and Sarah found the same, but in the explosion, Sarah lost her radio. Jim told her to go back to the HQ to replace the broken radio.
Meanwhile, Batman was chasing Joker, or it seemed that way, but he noticed an strange patter in the man's movements. Joker was much more agile than usual.
At that moment at CampLex, Azrael and Batgirl were looking for the missing babies but they found a christmas three filled with booby-trapped baby dolls. Azrael sacrificed himself to save Batgirl and Mercy Graves from the explosion and as a result, Azrael suffered several burns all over his body and hair.
Batman finally reached the Joker but at first contact the clown fought back with unusual martial arts attacks. Batman then realized that the person he had been following wasn't Joker, but Harley Quinn. Batman forced Quinn to reveal the Joker's location, much to Batman's horror.
Batman told Oracle where Joker was and she radioed all the members of the batfamily and the GCPD to inform them that Joker was at the GCPD HQ. Jim Gordon was petrified as he realized that Sarah was there as well.
Sarah got inside the GCPD HQ and she noticed there were some loud noised coming from the basement. She approached the source of the noise and found that Joker was in there with the kidnapped babies. She told him to drop the baby he was carrying, but Joker instead pulled out a gun, dropped the baby from his heigh and in order to prevent the baby from getting hurt, Sarah dropped her gun and reached for the baby. She saved the little one and Joker shot her in the head, killing her and leaving her body among the confused babies.
It was dawn in Gotham City as Joker came out of the GCPD HQ and just as he stepped into the light, all the members of the GCPD and that batfamily noticed him. Joker approached Batman and surrender, dropping his gun and giving in. Bullock and Montoya went inside the building as Jim waited outside in shock. When they came out, their expressions revealed the painful truth. Joker murdered Jim Gordon's wife. Gordon reached for his gun and punched the clown with the weapon. Gordon aimed his gun towards the clown told him that this time he has gone too far. Jim remembered how Joker paralyzed his daughter and now his wife. Batman rebutted that all of them had gone too far. Gordon was broken, tearful but he wouldn't fire. Joker mentioned Gordon's son and the Commissioner had enough. Gordon shot Joker in the knee and the clown was shocked at first, but then he turned his pain into an awful Joke about the similarity between his and Barbara's injury. Gordon told the officers to place Joker under arrest for the charge of murder.
Gordon was broken and the only consolation he had was in his trusted ally's arms. Batman held Gordon and shared the old man's pain.
- This is the third part of the storyline titled Endgame. The previous chapter is Batman #574. No Man's Land continues in Azrael: Agent of the Bat #61 and Endgame continues in Batman: Shadow of the Bat #94.
- This issue contained a preview for the No Man's Land novel written by Greg Rucka.
- Despite the established reading order, the events of this issue take place at the same time as Azrael: Agent of the Bat #61.
- This issue is reprinted in The Joker: A Celebration of 75 Years.
- This is the last Detective Comics issue part of the No Man's Land crossover.
- There is a reference to Chuck Dixon.
- This issue marks the second word ever spoken by Cassandra Cain: No!
- There is a reference to Cindy Lou Who.
- Write your own review of this comic!
- Discuss Detective Comics Vol 1 741 on the forums
- Cover gallery for the Detective Comics series
- Images from Detective Comics Vol 1 741
- Batman (Volume 1)
- Batman (Volume 2)
- Batman (Volume 3)
- All-Star Batman
- Batman and Robin (Volume 1)
- Batman and Robin (Volume 2)
- Batman Confidential
- Batman: Gotham Knights
- Batman: Legends of the Dark Knight
- Batman: Shadow of the Bat
- Batman: Streets of Gotham
- Batman Incorporated (Volume 1)
- Batman Incorporated (Volume 2)
- Batman: The Dark Knight (Volume 1)
- Batman: The Dark Knight (Volume 2)
- Detective Comics (Volume 1)
- Detective Comics (Volume 2)
- Batman: The Dark Knight Returns
Links and References
- No external links.
|No Man's Land Crossover|
This issue is a part of the Batman: No Man's Land crossover that swept through all Batman Family Titles during 1999. Gotham City was declared by the President to be no longer a part of the United States after the combined disasters of Contagion, Legacy and Cataclysm.