Dian Belmont was the lifelong companion of Sandman, Wesley Dodds. Originally a flighty socialite girl, Dian's encounter with Dodds inspired her to join his fight against crime.
She was responsible for designing the purple and yellow costume that Dodds wore during his tenure as a member of the All-Star Squadron. An interview with her had also inspired Jonathan Law, who based his first Tarantula costume on her design. One night, when Wesley was out of town, she donned the costume to take down a Nazi spy ring, but was seemingly killed. She survived, and after joining the All-Star Squadron, Law changed his costume in her memory - unaware that she had survived.
In her twilight years, Dian became an award winning crime novelist and passed away from natural causes.
- Writing: Dian was skilled in the ways of social etiquette and was a Pulitzer prize-winning mystery writer.
- Although this character was originally introduced during DC's Earth-Two era of publication, their existence following the events of the 1985-86 limited series Crisis on Infinite Earths remains intact. However, some elements of the character's Pre-Crisis history may have been altered or removed for Post-Crisis New Earth continuity, and no longer apply.
- Occasionally, Dian's name is misspelled as Diane.
- Jack Knight (also known as Starman) once traveled to the Dodds estate to speak to the retired Wesley Dodds, about a past Sandman adventure. Surprisingly, the person he was more nervous to meet was not Wesley at all, but his lifelong hero -- Dian.
- Although Dian and Wes Dodds were lifelong companions, they never married.
- 113 Appearances of Dian Belmont (New Earth)
- 4 Images featuring Dian Belmont (New Earth)
- 9 Quotations by or about Dian Belmont (New Earth)
- Character Gallery: Dian Belmont (New Earth)
- Dian Belmont at dccomics.com
- Dian Belmont at Wikipedia.org
- Dian Belmont biography page at the Unofficial Guide to the DC Universe