Ad blocker interference detected!
Wikia is a free-to-use site that makes money from advertising. We have a modified experience for viewers using ad blockers
Wikia is not accessible if you’ve made further modifications. Remove the custom ad blocker rule(s) and the page will load as expected.
- What's an angel? I think I'd rather be a woman.
- -- Wonder Woman src
Diana, Princess of the Amazons was born on the mystical Paradise Island several hundred years before she became known to the outside as Wonder Woman. Isolated from the cruelty and corruption of men and their ways, the Amazons lived in peace and advancement openly working with and obeying the will of the Olympian gods. Longing for a child of her own, Hippolyte the Queen of the Amazons, begged for the gods to grant her request and turn her perfect clay statue into a real girl. Sympathetic to Hippolyte's request, the gods relented and animated the statue with true life and the girl immediately leapt off the pedestal and into her mother's arms.
Pleased with the child, Hippolyte began to raise "her" daughter as an Amazon with all the station and privilege of her mother's royalty. Diana aged slowly and stop aging altogether upon reaching her adulthood as with all of the Amazons. Diana excelled, surpassing most of her Amazon sisters in her skills and intelligence.
Diana continued to perform as a contented Amazon until the fated day when Captain Steve Trevor crash landed on Paradise Island. Never haven seen a true man before Diana was immediately attracted to the handsome man despite his extensive injuries. Violating the Island rules about taking in outsiders, Diana took the unconscious Trevor back to the Amazons in an attempt to save his life. Pleading with her mother to save the man, Hippolyte relented and used the life healing Purple Ray on Trevor saving his life.Learning that the outside world was engaged in full world wide war, Diana wanted to participate and help stop the Second World War, but her ulterior motive was to leave Paradise Island with Steve Trevor. Hippolyte refused stating that she and the others should not get involved in the ways of the outsiders. But when the goddess Aphrodite declared that it was time for an Amazon to travel to "Man's World" and fight the evil of the Nazis, a tournament was held to determine who would be the Amazon champion. Although forbidden by Hippolyte to participate in the tournament, Princess Diana did so nevertheless, concealing her identity with a mask. Upon winning Diana revealed her identity to her heartbroken mother who feared that she would never see her daughter again. After winning the tournament and revealing her true identity, Queen Hippolyte relented and allowed her daughter to wear the costume of Wonder Woman and travel to the outside world. Diana returned Steve Trevor to the United States and adopted the identity of an Army nurse named Diana Prince so she could be close to Trevor as he recovered from his injuries. Now known as glasses wearing Diana Prince, Princess Diana began to operate as Wonder Woman publicly and forged papers that allowed her to become the recently promoted Major Trevor's and Col. Phillip Darnell's confidential assistant.
She stayed in this position fighting crime alongside the Justice Society of America (on Earth-Two) as their first female member though she was relegated to subservient duties performing as an actual Secretary for the Justice Society despite her beyond superhuman strength and abilities. Diana rejoined the team when it reformed as the All Star Squadron and expanded. In June, 1942, she briefly fought with Superman when she discovered that the United States was planning to create the atomic bomb and attempted to eliminating all nuclear weapons..
Diana continued to perform as an open crime fighter after World War Two and resisted being recalled home to Paradise Island after the war preferring to give up her immortality than leave her life of independence and personal identity.
During the 1950s, Diana was able to continue operating as a super-powered crime fighter as she had admitted to having no secret identity and stated herself to be a legendary Amazon, unlike many of the other masked heroes who were forced to either reveal their secret private identity or stop operating by the Federal government's Committee on Un-American Activities. This of course was not truly accurate on Diana's part as she continued to use her alias of Diana Prince.
It was during those years that Diana began to explore fully her romantic interests in her long-time crime fighting partner, Col. Steve Trevor. After a period of courtship, Diana revealed her alias of Diana Prince to Trevor. Initially taken back by the revelation, Trevor and Diana married. Diana later retired from active duty of the US Navy and decide to become a housewife where she raised their daughter, Hippolyte "Lyta" Trevor named after Diana's mother.
Diana rejoined the reformed Justice Society of America in the 1960s, though she mostly preferred to spend her time raising her daughter as a stay at home mother. During this time,Diana met her younger Earth-One counterpart. The two became good friends, occasionally inviting the younger Amazon to Earth-Two to enjoy a home cooked meal that the retired General Trevor would usually cook.
Diana was an elder stateswoman among the superhero community until the "Crisis on Infinite Earths" came to Earth-Two and erased all of its existence from reality. Diana fought well and was protected from erasure at the end of the Crisis by ascending to Mount Olympus along with her husband as both were erased and forgotten by the history of a new Primary Earth other than by their daughter who was reformatted into the new universe to be the daughter of Helena Kosmatos (Fury).
Helping the latest Wonder Woman regain herself as a true successor to the title, Princess Diana Trevor and her husband supposedly left the current reality for all time. Whether this happens to be truth or not remains to be seen as she has appeared on several occasions, mostly as an apparition.
- Immortality (formerly) - By drinking from the Fountain of Eternal Youth in Paradise Island she could be eternally young. However, she relinquished the gift when she left Paradise Island as Wonder Woman.
- Hand-to-Hand Combat (Advanced)
- Equestrianism (Every amazon is trained in kanga riding)
- Power Loss: Wonder Woman loses all powers if her wrists were bound by a man, but regained them once she was freed (no effect if bound by a woman).
- The Earth-Two Wonder Woman survived the Crisis on Infinite Earths, and went to live among the Pre-Crisis Gods of Mount Olympus along with husband, General Steve Trevor. Since the Crisis, she has been seen mostly as a non-corporeal being except but for on a few occasions.
- Although Wonder Woman maintained a secret identity throughout most of her career, she later publicly revealed her identity after marrying Steve Trevor.
- In the Pre-Crisis continuity, Wonder Woman and Steve Trevor gave birth to a daughter named Hippolyta Trevor. Hippolyta (Lyta for short) became a member of the Earth-Two super-hero team, Infinity, Inc. In the Post-Crisis continuity, the war-time Wonder Woman and Steve Trevor were rendered apocryphal and Lyta's parentage was retconned to include Helena Kosmatos, the Golden Age Fury as her biological mother and Joan Dale, the superheroine known as Miss America, as her foster mother.
- All-Star Comics
- All-Star Comics #8 (First appearance)
- All-Star Squadron
- Sensation Comics
- Wonder Woman (Volume 1)
- Who's Who: The Definitive Directory of the DC Universe XXVI (Wonder Woman biography page)
- 451 Appearances of Diana of Paradise Island (Earth-Two)
- 48 Images featuring Diana of Paradise Island (Earth-Two)
- 13 Quotations by or about Diana of Paradise Island (Earth-Two)
- Character Gallery: Diana of Paradise Island (Earth-Two)
Justice Society of America member