Little is known about the early life of Dinah Lance. However, evidence suggests that she is the daughter of a member of the Justice Society of America. Dinah was born into a family of cops and developed a sonic scream, caused by her being born with a metagene. In her youth, she was trained by a heavy weight boxing champion (possibly Ted Grant), making her a skilled fighter.
By 2008, Dinah had joined the Daily Planet as a reporter, where her conservative views frequently caused her to clash with the more liberal Lois Lane. Dinah had also begun engaging in vigilante activities, by sporting a black leather suit. She soon found herself recruited by Lex Luthor, who tricked her into thinking that he was the victim against a group, that had been attacking him and LuthorCorp. This lead Dinah to attack Chloe Sullivan and finding herself in battle against the Green Arrow. However, she quickly fled the scene. Acting under orders from Lex, Dinah uncovered the Green Arrow's secret identity and attacked him. But, an encounter with Clark Kent caused her to have doubt about Lex's innocence. When she tried to confront Lex, he turned on her and attempted to kill her. Dinah only survived thanks to the intervention of Clark and the Green Arrow. She later approached the two, in her civilian identity, to announce her retirement, but was convinced to join the Green Arrow's team.
A few months later, Dinah aided the team in their global search for Clark, Lex and Chloe. However, this ended with her identity being exposed by LuthorCorp and forcing her to go underground for a while. She eventually returned to help bring down Doomsday, which ended in disaster and she once more went underground. However, she was soon found by Chloe and returned to her regular activities.
- Sound Manipulation: Black Canary possesses a metagene, that gives her a potent sonic scream. Her sonic scream is able to damage and subdue foes and objects. Due to their enhanced hearing, Black Canary is able to subdue Kryptonians.
- This version of the character is exclusive to the continuity of the television series Smallville and its tie-in and comic book series, Smallville and Smallville Season 11. It is an adaptation of Dinah Laurel Lance/Black Canary. The original character was created by Dennis O'Neil and Dick Dillin and first appeared in Justice League of America #75.
- Black Canary was portrayed by Alaina Huffman on the series Smallville.
- 16 Appearances of Dinah Lance (Smallville)
- 12 Images featuring Dinah Lance (Smallville)
- Quotations by or about Dinah Lance (Smallville)
- Character Gallery: Dinah Lance (Smallville)
|Smallville television series. This template will categorize articles that include it into Category: Smallville Characters.|
Daily Planet Staff member