Doctor Fate is a mystical sorcerer and an agent of the Lords of Order. His mission is to battle the Lords of Chaos, a stoic supernatural warrior in the eternal battle between good and evil. Fate is a character who thrives on the contrast of his world, as a man given incredible power to fight back the uncompromising forces of nature surrounding him. Although he has been a popular recurring character in teams such as the Justice Society of America or Justice League International, the character's most fascinating stories dealing with the deeper more personal struggles in his world take place in his solo series'.
- Doctor Fate (Volume 1) is a four-issue miniseries by J.M. DeMatteis and Keith Giffen featuring the final adventures of Kent Nelson, introducing Eric and Linda Strauss as the new incarnations. The story involves Typhon of the Lords of Chaos guiding Ben Stoner to become the new Doctor and use his powers for evil.
- Doctor Fate (Volume 2) is an ongoing series chronicling the adventures of Eric and Linda Strauss under the guidance of Nabu. It would eventually bring back Kent Nelson and Inza Cramer as its new protagonists.
- Doctor Fate (Volume 3) is a five-issue miniseries by Christopher Golden and Don Kramer, featuring Hector Hall dealing with the challenges of becoming Fate while fighting an ancient enemy of Nabu known as the Curse.
- Immortal Doctor Fate (Volume 1) is a three-issue miniseries reprinting a number of classic Fate stories from the Bronze Age written by Martin Pasko with artist Walt Simonson.
- Book of Fate (Volume 1) and Fate (Volume 1) starred Jared Stevens, spinning out of Zero Hour.
- Helmet of Fate (Volume 1) is a series of one-shots that followed magic users in the DC Universe, leading to Countdown to Mystery (Volume 1): an eight-issue miniseries written by Steve Gerber introducing Kent V. Nelson as the new Doctor Fate, grand-nephew of the original, a divorced psychologist who struggles with alcoholism.