Don Allen was the son of Barry and Iris Allen, conceived in the 30th Century after his father's retirement, but born after his death in the first Crisis. He and his twin sister Dawn inherited a fraction of his speed. Since they never knew their father, they often felt jealous of their cousin Wally West, to whom Barry was a father figure.
Because of the policies of Earthgov, which was known for exploiting metahumans, and the rampant xenophobia that existed on Earth prior to the the establishment of the United Planets, Iris encouraged her children to hide their powers. When Wally arrived in their century after being lost in time following a battle with Savitar, he was shocked to learn that they were not using their speed to fight crime. They sprang into action, however, to save Wally from a mob he had unsuccessfully tried to stop from lynching an alien. The twins subsequently lent some of their Speed Force energy to Wally to help him get back to his own time. Wally's visit no doubt had an affect on the Allens, as they later began operating as the super hero duo the Tornado Twins.
Don eventually married Meloni Thawne, daughter of the Earthgov president, whose family had been mortal enemies of the Allens for centuries. They had one son, Bart, who would eventually travel to the 21st Century to become Impulse, and later, Kid Flash.
Shortly after Bart's birth, their family was attacked by the villainous Professor Zoom, a Thawne who wished to end the union of the rival families. They, along with Dawn's family, attempted to flee to a parallel Earth using the Cosmic Treadmill. However, Zoom sabotaged the device, causing an explosion which created a rift in the multiverse. Zoom was ultimately defeated by an army of three different Legions of Super-Heroes, but Don and his family were subsequently stranded on Earth-247.
- Speed Force Conduit: People who, for whatever reason, are connected to the Speed Force are sometimes called Speed Force Conduits. This means that they are connected to the Speed Force and are tethered to it.
- Accelerated Healing: The Speed Force connection allows the speedster's body recover from injury much faster than normal.
- Increased Perceptions: The Speed Force enhances the speedster's senses, allowing them to perceive the world at a rate attuned how fast they can react.
- Phasing: Speed Force conduits can tap into the Speed Force to vibrate their molecules in a way to achieve intangibility for short bursts, allowing them to phase through objects.
- Speed Force Aura: The Speed Force also manifests an aura around the speedster and whatever they are carrying, protecting them from adverse effects of their speed, such a friction with the air.
- Superhuman Stamina: While not unlimited, the connection to the Speed Force does bolster the speedsters stamina well beyond the limits of a normal human.
- Superhuman Speed: The main effect of the connection is to allow a speedster to move at vast superhuman speeds. This also confers:
- Vortex Creations: Speed Force conduits are able to create vortices of air by running in circles or rotating their extremities at super-speed. These vortices can be used for a number of effects.
- 26 Appearances of Don Allen (New Earth)
- 3 Images featuring Don Allen (New Earth)
- Quotations by or about Don Allen (New Earth)
- Character Gallery: Don Allen (New Earth)
- Don Allen at dccomics.com
- Tornado Twins at Wikipedia.org
- Tornado Twins at Flash: Those Who Ride the Lightning
- ↑ Flash #92
- ↑ Flash #114
- ↑ Final Crisis: Legion of Three Worlds #3
- ↑ Their deaths were shown in Legion of Super-Heroes (Volume 4) #17. Although this portion of Legion history (the "Glorithverse") was erased after Zero Hour, the circumstances of the twins' deaths were confirmed in Flash (Volume 2) #92.
- ↑ Being a speed force conduit conveys some core powers as demonstrated by Barry Allen and Wally West.
- ↑ 6.0 6.1 6.2 6.3 6.4 Flash (Volume 2) #1
- ↑ Flash (Volume 2) #76
- ↑ Flash (Volume 2) #63
- ↑ Flash (Volume 2) #2
- ↑ Flash (Volume 2) #74