- Yick! What kind of a stupid costume is this? I didn't want a costume - let alone one as sickening as this get-up!
- -- Don Hall src
Don Hall was the quieter more scholarly of two brothers. He and his brother, Hank pursued a mob boss that tried to kill their father, a judge. The two became trapped in a locked room and Don wished for the power they would need to free themselves. A voice boomed out that it would give the boys that power as long as they used it to fight injustice. By saying the words "hawk" and "dove", the two transformed into superheroes with the same names. After justice was served they changed back. As Dove, Don Hall always advocated non-violent solutions. The two saved their father, who in turn denounced the boys as lawless vigilantes.
Over the years the pair had many adventures, eventually joining the Teen Titans. For a time, Hank and Don retired to concentrate on education. The duo returned to action to take part in the Crisis on Infinite Earths. They fought alongside the Titans to free Earth-4 and joined the massive army of heroes that journeyed back to the Dawn of Time. After reality was reformed, Hawk and Dove were part of the battle against the Anti-Monitor's Shadow Demons. While helping people evacuate, Dove noticed a child all alone. Over protests from Hawk, he went to rescue the child. No sooner had he gotten the child down from a window sill then he was attacked from behind by a Shadow Demon. Dove was instantly vaporized.
Some time later, Dawn Granger became the new Dove. During the War of the Gods, Don Hall was revived as an undead zombie by Circe. He attacked his successor but eventually went back to the afterlife. Recently he was revived again along with other fallen Titans thanks to a plot by the current Brother Blood.
During the Blackest Night crossover event, Don Hall is the only individual whose corpse can not be possessed by a black ring. Several black power rings approached his grave, initially stating "Don Hall of Earth, RI-" (the usual command is "RISE") only to be cut off and return the message, "Don Hall of Earth at Peace." Additionally, the rings were prevented from getting near the grave at all, being blocked by an invisible barrier. In an interview with IGN, Geoff Johns provides an explanation behind Dove's immunity to the black power rings: "You'll learn more about this as we go forward. But really it speaks to the nature of Don Hall. He can't be desecrated by the likes of these things. He's untouchable in death and at total peace more than any other being in the universe."
- Danger Sense Transformation: When in the presence of danger, whether to himself or others, Don Hall can call out the word "Dove" and be transformed into his Dove form. He does not need to be aware of the danger for the transformation to take place, so if he happened to say the word while unknowingly being in danger, the transformation would take place. The transformation only reacts to actual danger, so if Don incorrectly believed that he was in danger he would be unable to transform into Dove. The transformation wears off a short time after the danger has passed, unless Dove has received serious injuries which would kill Don, in which case he would remain as Dove until the danger from the injuries has passed. It is unknown how close to the danger he needs to be to transform. On high magic worlds he can remain as Dove for extended periods regardless of whether there is any danger present.
- Hyper Vigilant: As Dove his discerning skills are enhanced. His ability to discern the motivations of people and situations are greatly improved. This allows him to, within seconds, act and react to danger accordingly.
- Superhuman Agility: Dove is one of the hardest-to-hit characters in the world. On the level of the Speedsters, Dove does not need superhuman speed to be able to dodge bullets and flip over moving vehicles. He has the grace of flying birds as a human and this makes it almost impossible to hit him unless he is not paying any attention whatsoever or he is overwhelmed. Part of Dove's agility ability no matter how he flies or flips, jumps or skips; Dove will never land on his rear end in a fight. Something akin to the grace of birds, even when he is pushed away by an energy beam he lands on his feet.
- Enhanced Durability: If Dove is ever hit his costume and skin are highly impervious to damage and while bullets still hurt him they will not pierce his skin.
- Accelerated Healing: Furthermore if Dove is ever hit and that hit takes sustained damage then Dove's body can heal quickly from damage. Reducing bullet wounds and scars to full health in a manner of hours.
- Enhanced Senses: Unlike his ability to discern motivation, Dove's enhanced senses are increased to a superhuman level and allows him to perceive events before they happen as well as understand events as they occur. This ability even extends through death, where Don expressed his concern for his brother during his time as Extant and after his resurrection during the Blackest Night.
- Although this character was originally introduced during DC's Earth-One era of publication, their existence following the events of the 1985–86 limited series Crisis on Infinite Earths remains intact. However, some elements of the character's Pre-Crisis history may have been altered or removed for Post-Crisis New Earth continuity, and should be considered apocryphal.
- During the Blackest Night although Dove was dead, his body rejected the Black Lantern Power Ring that was set for him. Whether this was because his true form underneath the costume is made of pure white light or because the Entity protected him is unknown.
- Dove is an agent of Order, he's named Dove because the dove is a symbol of peace and prosperity in many countries.
- 55 Appearances of Donald Hall (New Earth)
- 10 Images featuring Donald Hall (New Earth)
- 2 Quotations by or about Donald Hall (New Earth)
- Character Gallery: Donald Hall (New Earth)
- Dove at dccomics.com
- Hawk and Dove at Wikipedia.org
- Don Hall article at Titanstower.com
- Don Hall (Pre-Flashpoint) bio at the Unofficial Guide to the DC Universe
- Don Hall (Post-Flashpoint) bio at the Unofficial Guide to the New DC Universe
|Teen Titans member |
This character is or was primarily a member of the younger superhero team known as the Teen Titans, in any of its various incarnations. This template will categorize articles that include it into the "Teen Titans members" category.