Donald "Dan" Richards attended the police academy with his girlfriend's brother, Jim, who was at the top of the class, while Dan was at the very bottom. After Jim was framed for a crime he didn't commit, Dan took up the identity of Manhunter to track down the actual killer. He caught the perpetrator and cleared Jim's name. Afterwards, however, he continued to operate as Manhunter. His sidekick was a dog named Thor, who decades later turned out to be an android sleeper agent of the Manhunters (much to the horror of Richards, who had seemingly not had the dog checked out by a vet at any time in the last 47 years, or wondered why it never got any older). Richards had a heart attack when he was attacked by Thor, but survived. Dan's granddaughter, Marcie Cooper, became the third Harlequin after he convinced her to join the Manhunters.
Dan Richards was later killed by Mark Shaw, who had fallen back into his Dumas persona.
- This character is an adaptation of the original character published by Quality Comics during the Golden Age. Manhunter was created by Tex Blaisdell and Alex Kotzky and debuted in Police Comics #8, but was adapted for the DC Multiverse by Roy Thomas and Rick Hoberg and debuted in All-Star Squadron #31.
- Although this character was originally introduced during DC's Earth-Two era of publication, their existence following the events of the 1985–86 limited series Crisis on Infinite Earths remains intact. However, some elements of the character's Pre-Crisis history may have been altered or removed for Post-Crisis New Earth continuity, and no longer apply.
- 16 Appearances of Donald Richards (New Earth)
- 6 Images featuring Donald Richards (New Earth)
- Quotations by or about Donald Richards (New Earth)
- Character Gallery: Donald Richards (New Earth)
|Freedom Fighters member |
This character is or was a member of the Freedom Fighters, a team of American super-heroes who fight threats to the nation and its ideals under the leadership of Uncle Sam. This template will automatically categorize articles that include it into the "Freedom Fighters members" category.