Ad blocker interference detected!
Wikia is a free-to-use site that makes money from advertising. We have a modified experience for viewers using ad blockers
Wikia is not accessible if you’ve made further modifications. Remove the custom ad blocker rule(s) and the page will load as expected.
"We Who Are About to Die ...": The Doom Patrol are assigned to infiltrate a secret base in Buena Suerte. There they discover a breeding ground for biological constructs, created by Dr. Amanda Beckett. She confronts them and quickly transforms into a monstrous c
- Doom? Never hurts to set a goal.
- -- Robotman
Appearing in "We Who Are About to Die ..."
- Amanda Beckett (First appearance)
- Doctor Wade Ackerman
Synopsis for "We Who Are About to Die ..."
The Doom Patrol are assigned to infiltrate a secret base in Buena Suerte. There they discover a breeding ground for biological constructs, created by Dr. Amanda Beckett. She confronts them and quickly transforms into a monstrous creature herself. She indicates that "a biological link between the impregnator and the host was the critical factor." As the newly alerted military forces move in, the Doom Patrol is attacked by the "monsters". Rita quells the doctor's attack and Neg Man destroys the remaining pods of monsters.
As the Patrol try to escape in their helicopter, Nudge is machine gunned to death. Grunt runs off with her remains into the forests. Neg Man destroys some of the attack copters, but leaves one for Robotman. However, Elasti-Woman swats it down easily in giant form.
They return to their new base on Oolong Island, where Father Leslie tries to counsel them on their loss of Nudge, but none of the Patrol seem very affected by her death. Rita has a new miniature roommate in the form of Karen Duncan (Bumblebee), who, for some reason, is the size of a doll and living inside a dollhouse in Rita's quarters.
The Chief is contacted by a Dr. Ackerman, who is in charge of the VULCAN Collider. Apparently, the collider has succeded in creating a miniature black hole - "that wants to negotiate terms".
Appearing in "A Day in the Life!"
- Mr. Epstein (First appearance)
- Mr. Forklift (First appearance)
- Mrs. Botticelli (First appearance)
- Ruby of Redemption
Synopsis for "A Day in the Life!"
Doc Magnus has a meeting with his neighbors, who want the Metal Men gone for good. The Metal Men are in Brazil, fighting the gigantic Zummazumma. The forgotten and unnoticed Copper manages to blind the giant by melting into his eyes. Mercury slingshots Lead through Zummazumma's head, which seems to be an effective strategy as he immediately collapses. The Metal Men are trying to recover the Ruby of Redemption for a museum in São Paulo.
The Metal Men bicker amongst themselves. Gold is becoming almost delusional in his self-importance, Tin is belittling himself at every turn, and Copper is unnoticed. Returning to HQ, The team watched TV while Tina prepared dinner for Doc Magnus. He didn't want to hurt her feelings, so he ate it, even though robots with no taste buds tended to make lousy cooks. Doc found Tina waiting in his bedroom, and had to carry her over his shoulder to get her out.
- This issue went on sale August 5th, 2009.
- This issue features a special preview of the upcoming issue Magog #1.
- The release cover and virgin cover of this issue both feature the team busting through older issues of their series. The two covers that they're ripping out of are:
- Technology is given a heavy presence in this issue. Besides the frequent email messages and data files presented throughout the story, the characters are also using recognizable programs. Negative Man appears to be playing something that resembles Halo, and the Chief appears to have been looking Amanda Beckett up on something like Wikipedia.
- Write your own review of this comic!
- Discuss Doom Patrol Vol 5 1 on the forums
- Cover gallery for the Doom Patrol series
- Images from Doom Patrol Vol 5 1
Links and References
- Doom Patrol at Wikipedia.org
- Doom Patrol at the DCU Guide
- Doom Patrol at TV Tropes
- Doom Patrol Fansite
- Metal Men at Wikipedia.org
- Metal Men at Cosmic Teams
- Metal Men review site