The Dragon King was once a brilliant scientist living in Imperial Japan. He joined the Black Dragon Society when World War II began, making him second only to the emperor as regards to power in his country. Dragon King was the scientist who created the specialized nerve gas K887.
One of his greatest creations for the Axis was was combining the Holy Grail's power with that of the Spear of Destiny, which the Nazi government had lent their allies. Dragon King used the ancient mystical artifacts to create a field of arcane magic that shielded the axis nations of Imperial Japan and Nazi occupied Europe from any super powered threats. The shield prevented the use of magic and if they used their powers they would be brainwashed to join the axis. This was the main reason various heroes could not take part in the main theater or the war. The All-Star Squadron still attempted to invade Japan after the attack on Pearl Harbor, they went in along with various non powered heroes. Realizing they could not invade enemy territory without involuntarily serving the Axis cause, the All-Stars were forced to retreat out of range of the mystical field's influence, but not before forcing the Dragon King to beat a hasty retreat as well. 
Dragon survived until modern times and moved to the United States living in the small town of Blue Valley, Nebraska, with a daughter Cindy Burman, who became herself a super villain, called Shiv. However Blue Valley is home to former All-Star Squadron member Pat Dugan and his step daughter Courtney Whitmore. These two now operate as the new Star-Spangled Kid and Pat wears the S.T.R.I.P.E. Armor. They went up against the war criminal with the help of Pat's old team mate the Shining Knight. Sir Justin was on the quest to find the missing Holy Grail. It was revealed that the Dragon King was responsible for the death of fellow hero Firebrand all those years ago. He died during the battle, though the body was never located. 
- Although this character was originally introduced during DC's Earth-Two era of publication, their existence following the events of the 1985-86 limited series Crisis on Infinite Earths remains intact. However, some elements of the character's Pre-Crisis history may have been altered or removed for Post-Crisis New Earth continuity, and no longer apply.
- 15 Appearances of Dragon King (New Earth)
- 3 Images featuring Dragon King (New Earth)
- Quotations by or about Dragon King (New Earth)
- Character Gallery: Dragon King (New Earth)