Earth-ERB is an unofficial appellation used when referring to characters and settings as first envisioned by writer Edgar Rice Burroughs. The name is reflective of the entire reality and not just the planet Earth. The continuity of Earth-ERB was featured in the DC comic titles of the early 1970s, Tarzan, Tarzan Family, Korak, Son of Tarzan and Weird Worlds. The final comic issue to feature this reality was Tarzan Family #66 published in December of 1976.
Although characters created by Edgar Rice Burroughs have since appeared in other DC Comics owned projects, they are not part of the original Earth-ERB reality. Appearances made by Tarzan and John Carter as seen in the 1999 Batman/Tarzan: Claws of the Cat-Woman limited series, as well as ABC's League of Extraordinary Gentlemen volumes 1 and 2 take place in their own respective realities.
Points of Interest
- Mars (aka Barsoom)
- City of Ghasta
- City of Helium
- City of Sorkan
- City of Therns
- The Valley Dor
- Beyond the Farthest Star
- Melandra (female companion)
- The Earth's Core/Pellucidar
- The Warlord of Mars
Other Characters from Tarzan Family
- Alice Rutherford Clayton
- Alice Clayton was the wife of John Clayton, Sr. and the mother of John Clayton, Jr. Her husband and she were marooned on the shores of equatorial Africa shortly after the birth of their son.
- Bolgani is the Mangani word for gorilla (whereas Mangani references all of the species of great apes). It may refer to the species as a whole, or may be used as a proper name when referencing one particular gorilla. At the age of only thirteen-years-old, Tarzan proved his mettle by slaying Bolgani in mortal combat.
- Black Michael
- Black Michael was a pirate who led a mutiny against the captain of the ship that he served on. Black Michael is the man responsible for marooning Lord and Lady Clayton and their infant son on the shores of Africa.
- John Clayton
- Also known as Lord Greystoke, John Clayton was the husband of Alice Rutherford and the father of John "Tarzan" Clayton. His wife and he were marooned on the shores of equatorial Africa shortly after the birth of their son. Clayton, Sr. was later murdered by the bull gorilla known as Kerchak.
- Kala was a female gorilla (or Mangani) and the mate of Kerchak. When Kerchak slew Lord and Lady Clayton, Kala took their orphaned son John and raised him as her own. John Clayton grew up to become the jungle lord known as Tarzan.
- Kerchak was king of his respective gorilla tribe in the years before the coming of Tarzan. Kerchak unwittingly paved the way for his own downfall when he slew Lord Clayton (Tarzan's father) while Tarzan was still a child. As an adult, Tarzan had his revenge against Kerchak by breaking the gorilla's neck, thus assuming his role as Lord of the Jungle.
- Mister Klaxton
- Mister Klaxton was hired by an unnamed woman to take her through the jungles of Africa in search of her missing father. He told her many tales of the mysterious "ape man" rumored to live in the jungles.
- Sabor is the generic name for a lioness in the language of the Mangani. It was also used as a pronoun to describe individual lionesses as well as the species as a whole.
- Sheeta is the Mangani word for Leopard. It may refer to the species as a whole, or may be used as a proper name when referencing one particular leopard.
- Tublat was a gorilla and a contemporary of Tarzan. When Tarzan was a youth, he liked to play pranks on Tublat such as snaring him with a lasso made from entwined weeds.
- No special notes.
- No trivia.
- Characters from Earth-ERB
- Other things related to Earth-ERB
- Earth-ERB's Comic Appearances
- Reality Gallery: Earth-ERB
Links and References