- Once you realize what a joke everything is, being the Comedian is the only thing that makes sense.
- -- The Comedian src
- -- The Comedian src
Eddie Blake had the longest crime fighting career out of all the costumed vigilantes. Edward Blake first started out as a crime fighter in the 1940's as The Comedian.
He was part of a group called the Minutemen, a team of eight masked crime fighting vigilantes. After a photo shoot for the Minutemen, The Comedian walked into a room to find Silk Spectre changing. He then attempted to rape her but was then stopped by Hooded Justice, who then proceeded beat Blake in a rage. The Minutemen then banned him from the group.
After being stabbed in the chest in 1941, he changed his green and purple costume to tough leather armor. Soon after the Minutemen disbanded in the 1950's, Blake was called to testify for the disappearance and killing of Hooded Justice, but he refused to testify. Nothing was ever proved against him.
In the late 60's Blake joined a group called the Crimebusters, led by Captain Metropolis. However, their first meeting did not last long after the Comedian set fire to one of Metropolis's display and told everybody that the group was a joke.
After the the Keene Act in the 70's, the Comedian joined the fight in Vietnam with Dr. Manhattan, receiving a disfiguring scar on the left side of his face at war's end by an enraged Vietnamese woman he'd impregnated. He shot her in retaliation, telling Doctor Manhattan (who had watched the ordeal) that, despite the numerous chances at preventing the entire discretion; he did nothing.
Returning home, he assisted Nite Owl in attempting to quell a riot, only to become enraged after someone hits him in the head with a piece of debris, opening fire on the crowd with rubber bullets. After the riot disperses, Nite Owl questions his brutal choice of action.
In October of 1985, he visited Edgar Jacobi a.k.a. Moloch, his former arch-enemy, while he was drunk. Sobbing, he tells him that everything in life is a joke before departing in an inebriated stupor. A few days later, he is attacked in his apartment; being tossed around and beaten before being thrown from the window and plummeting to his death below.
Powers and AbilitiesEdit
- Hand-to-Hand Combat (Advanced): The Comedian was a skilled hand-to-hand combatant in excellent physical condition, even at the time of his death at the age of 61. He is one of the few people to have beaten Ozymandias in a fight, but his skills dimished with age which lead to his ultimate dimise.
- Firearms: The Comedian is not an expert marksman per se, Blake was proficient with a .45 pistol and pump-action shotgun.
- Tactical Analysis: His participation in World War II and Vietnam makes him skilled in military tactics.
- Espionage: His government-sanctioned activities suggest that he was very talented in or received training in covert operations and unconventional warfare. It is implied that he was a CIA Black-Ops type agent during the 1960's and 1970's.
- Investigation: The Comedian is a sklilled detective skills. He not only is able to discover Ozymandias's plot, he also is the first character that recognizes Dr. Manhattan's growing detachment from humanity. He also correctly deduces Hooded Justice's sexual orientation
The Comedian possesses peak human-level strength that appears to be greater than most opponents. He has demonstrated sufficient strength to punch through a brick wall, lift grown men by the throat with one hand, and punch grown men several feet through the air.
- Comedian's Costume I: The Comedian's original costume was extremely gaudy, consisting of a bright yellow and purple boiler suit. He has purple gloves and boots as well a similarly colored domino mask over his eyes to protect his identity. Also, he had a bright red belt buckle in the shape of a laughing face.
- Comedian's Costume II: In 1941, due to an unexplained incident, he was stabbed and decided to convert his armor into something more protective. He then produced the armor that would serve him throughout the rest of his career, made out of thick leather and patriotic shoulder pads, although he kept the same mask.
- The Comedian is based on the Charlton Comics character The Peacemaker, with elements of Marvel Comics' Nick Fury.
- Eddie Blake was born in 1924.
- Eddie Blake weighed 180lbs at 16 years old when he was arrested as a minor and sent to a juvenile delinquent facility.
- 33 Appearances of Edward Blake (Watchmen)
- 11 Images featuring Edward Blake (Watchmen)
- 5 Quotations by or about Edward Blake (Watchmen)
- Character Gallery: Edward Blake (Watchmen)
Discover and Discuss
- Search this site for:
- Search the Forums for:
This is an in-universe article with out-of-universe material.
This article features characters, items or events exclusive to the continuity of the "Watchmen limited series," or the Watchmen Movie. This template will categorize all articles that include it into the Watchmen category.