- For fifty years I've been trapped in the Speed Force -- then Sorrow freed me, asking only one thing in return. Your head.
- -- Rival src
Clariss was a professor at the university attended by the Golden Age Flash, Jay Garrick. He believed he had recreated the formula that gave Garrick his speed.
Bitter at the rejection of his claims by the scientific community, Clariss became a criminal, wearing a darker version of the Flash's outfit. His version of the formula, however, proved to be temporary, and he was defeated when it was expended. He reappeared a few months later, and in battling the Flash, reached light speed and vanished.
Following the reformation of the Justice Society of America decades later, Clariss was retrieved from the Speed Force by Johnny Sorrow, who invited him to join the new Injustice Society. Now pure speed energy, he possessed Garrick's fellow Golden Age speedster Max Mercury.
- Speed Force Conduit: People who, for whatever reason, are connected to the Speed Force are sometimes called Speed Force Conduits. This means that they are connected to the Speed Force and are tethered to it.
- Accelerated Healing: The Speed Force connection allows the speedster's body recover from injury much faster than normal.
- Increased Perceptions: The Speed Force enhances the speedster's senses, allowing them to perceive the world at a rate attuned how fast they can react.
- Phasing: Speed Force conduits can tap into the Speed Force to vibrate their molecules in a way to achieve intangibility for short bursts, allowing them to phase through objects.
- Speed Force Aura: The Speed Force also manifests an aura around the speedster and whatever they are carrying, protecting them from adverse effects of their speed, such a friction with the air.
- Superhuman Stamina: While not unlimited, the connection to the Speed Force does bolster the speedsters stamina well beyond the limits of a normal human.
- Superhuman Speed: The main effect of the connection is to allow a speedster to move at vast superhuman speeds. This also confers:
- Vortex Creations: Speed Force conduits are able to create vortices of air by running in circles or rotating their extremities at super-speed. These vortices can be used for a number of effects.
- Although this character was originally introduced during DC's Earth-Two era of publication, their existence following the events of the 1985-86 limited series Crisis on Infinite Earths remains intact. However, some elements of the character's Pre-Crisis history may have been altered or removed for Post-Crisis New Earth continuity, and no longer apply.
- It should be noted that there is an android creation based on Rival that has challenged Jay Garrick on several occasions using the same title of "Reverse Golden Age Flash".
- Both Clariss and the Second Reverse-Flash recreated the events that gave their respective counterparts their powers, gaining super-speed of their own.
- Edward Clariss is also known as the Reverse Golden Age Flash.
- 7 Appearances of Edward Clariss (New Earth)
- 5 Images featuring Edward Clariss (New Earth)
- 2 Quotations by or about Edward Clariss (New Earth)
- Character Gallery: Edward Clariss (New Earth)
Discover and Discuss
- Search this site for:
- Search the Forums for:
|Justice Society Villain(s) |
This character, team or organization is or was primarily an enemy of the Justice Society, in any of its various incarnations. This template will categorize articles that include it into the "Justice Society Villains" category.