Ad blocker interference detected!
Wikia is a free-to-use site that makes money from advertising. We have a modified experience for viewers using ad blockers
Wikia is not accessible if you’ve made further modifications. Remove the custom ad blocker rule(s) and the page will load as expected.
Dr. Elizabeth Chapel, alias Doctor Midnight was the successor to Charles McNider (Doctor Mid-Nite) who died during "Zero Hour," as he had no known living relatives. He was close to his student and protégé, Beth. Chapel first appeared when Jade of Infinity, Inc. was rushed to the hospital for treatment against Mister Bones' cyanide touch. Shortly thereafter, her super-hero career kicked into fast and full gear.
During the Crisis on Infinite Earths, Beth was blinded by an oxygen explosion in her hospital. She was rescued by Rick Tyler, the son of Hourman, who had taken his father's Miraclo. Like McNider, Beth discovered that she too could see in the dark. She and Rick both assumed the mantles of their predecessors, as Doctor Midnight (note the different spelling) and Hourman. Along with Yolanda Montez, the new Wildcat, they applied for membership in Infinity, Inc., but were not immediately accepted. Eventually they were admitted, but their careers were short-lived.
Infinity, Inc. soon disbanded and Doctor Midnight and Wildcat were recruited by the U.S. government for a mission to defeat Eclipso. Both women died on that mission along with Commander Steel, Peacemaker and Major Victory.
- Infrared Vision: Chapel's eyes were altered by a chemical injection, allowing her to see the infrared spectrum.
- Medicine: Chapel is was a qualified surgeon and medical researcher.
- Gymnastics: Chapel is also proficient in several athletic aptitudes including gymnastics and weight training.
- Hand-to-Hand Combat (Basic): She is likewise a skilled hand-to-hand combatant.
- Blind: Doctor Midnight was blind and could not see in daylight without the aid of special infrared lenses.
- Specialized Lenses: Doctor Midnight wore special infrared goggles that enabled her to see clearly despite her physical handicap. She did not require these goggles for purposes of night vision.
- Blackout Bomb: A small bomb which release pitch-black gas that blinds villains; these "blackout bombs" have had improvements made to them and are similar to those used by his predecessors.
- Although this character was originally introduced during DC's Earth-Two era of publication, their existence following the events of the 1985-86 limited series Crisis on Infinite Earths remains intact. However, some elements of the character's Pre-Crisis history may have been altered or removed for Post-Crisis New Earth continuity, and no longer apply.
- 43 Appearances of Elizabeth Chapel (New Earth)
- 2 Images featuring Elizabeth Chapel (New Earth)
- 1 Quotations by or about Elizabeth Chapel (New Earth)
- Character Gallery: Elizabeth Chapel (New Earth)