Looking for a different version of this character?
|As a result of the 2011 initiative, the New 52, the entire line of DC characters was relaunched, incorporating properties belonging to the company's imprints: Wildstorm, Milestone, and Vertigo. As such, elements of this character's history have been altered in some way from the previous incarnation's. For a complete list of all versions of this character, see our disambig.|
- Anyone who's seen combat knows how precious life is-- and how foolish it is to continue the cycle of violence.
- -- August General in Iron src
Justice League International
Andre Briggs selects August General to represent China as a member of the new U.N.-sponsored Justice League International. He immediately begins a friendly rivalry with Russian teammate Rocket Red. Their first mission is against a group of giant robots wreaking havoc across the planet called the Signal Men. The team is defeated, but August General gives a speech about his faith in Booster Gold as their leader. He teams up with Godiva to investigate the threat underground. They are captured by the alien world-destroyer Peraxxus who is responsible for the Signal Men. He helps the team battle Peraxxus when they distract him so Batman and Rocket Red can reprogram his equipment. They save the day by crashing his ship into Earth. This mission finally gets them U.N. approval, and August General delivers a passionate speech to China's delegate. Briggs announces the team in a public debut ceremony at the Hall of Justice.
The League's public debut is attacked by a terrorist group called the Burners, led by anarchist super-villain Breakdown. Zhifu's superiors formally disband the team, but he insists to the Chinese U.N. delegate that they cannot stop them from acting as individuals. When they recruit OMAC, August General tries to help him deal with being trapped in the body of a monster. They finally fight the Burners and are defeated, with August General taken out by Intersek's manipulation of Guy Gardner. The Burners stage a public execution of the captured League, and Breakdown uses his powers to break down August General's cell-structure. OMAC breaks the team free of Lightweaver's prison, and they win when August General punches Breakdown into a million friggin' pieces. At the funeral for Rocket Red, they decide to continue without government approval when August General insists that Gavril can't have died for nothing. They are finally disbanded when Brother Eye takes control of OMAC and destroys the team, having him burn August General's face off.
- Sensory Deprivation: August General's strengthened hide has weakened his senses such as taste.
- August General in Iron was created by Grant Morrison and J.G. Jones, first appearing in 52 #6. However, in the Prime Earth continuity August General in Iron first appeared as part of the New 52 DC Universe in Justice League International (Volume 3) #1 by Dan Jurgens and Aaron Lopresti.
- In Justice League International there is a sub-plot of August General harboring romantic feelings for his teammate Godiva, although this is never made explicit. It begins during their first solo mission together.
- 22 Appearances of Fang Zhifu (Prime Earth)
- 44 Images featuring Fang Zhifu (Prime Earth)
- 3 Quotations by or about Fang Zhifu (Prime Earth)
- Character Gallery: Fang Zhifu (Prime Earth)
- ↑ Justice League International (Volume 3) #1
- ↑ 2.0 2.1 Justice League International (Volume 3) #2
- ↑ Justice League International (Volume 3) #3
- ↑ Justice League International (Volume 3) #4
- ↑ Justice League International (Volume 3) #5
- ↑ 6.0 6.1 Justice League International (Volume 3) #6
- ↑ Justice League International (Volume 3) #7
- ↑ Justice League International (Volume 3) #8
- ↑ Justice League International (Volume 3) #9
- ↑ Justice League International (Volume 3) #10
- ↑ Justice League International (Volume 3) #11, see excerpt
- ↑ Justice League International (Volume 3) #12
- ↑ Justice League International (Volume 3) Annual #1, see excerpt