Faora Hu-Ul was a serial killer born on the planet Krypton. A self-professed "man-hater", she targeted only male Kryptonians and ran a concentration camp where she kept other Kryptonians as slaves. Faora Hu-Ul claimed over twenty-three lives before she was arrested. Faora was sentenced to over three-hundred years of incarceration inside the Phantom Zone - the longest sentence ever handed to a female prisoner, and the second-longest sentence over all. As Faora was trapped inside the Phantom Zone, she, along with many others, survived the destruction of Krypton. She met other Phantom Zoners including military leader General Zod and Jax-Ur. Jax-Ur's knowledge of Jewel Kryptonite technology paved the way for their escape, and they broke free of the Phantom Zone where they inevitably came into conflict with their home world's last surviving son - Superman.
During one incident, Faora separated from her fellow Zoners and used her powers to siphon some Phantom Zone mist to surround her body, making her appear as a true phantom. As a veritable "ghost", Faora masqueraded as the widow of an elderly man named Jackson Porter. She convinced Porter to take up residence at 344 Clinton Street in Metropolis, next door to Clark Kent, aka, Superman. From there, she began scheming against Superman, but Superman discovered her true identity and origin and returned Faora to the Phantom Zone, along with Porter. 
- Kryptonian Physiology: Under the effects of a "yellow" sun, Faora possesses the same potential powers as an average Kryptonian. These include:
- Solar Energy Absorption: Under optimal conditions, this is the main source of Faora's super powers as they are contingent upon exposure to solar radiation from a yellow sun star system. Her biological make up includes a number of organs which lack analogues in humans and whose functions are unknown. It is believed that between one or more of these and her bio-cellular matrix, "yellow" solar energy is stored for later use. This allows for the use of these powers to fade when yellow solar radiation is not available instead of immediate failure.
- Heat Vision: Faora can, as a conscious act, fire beams of intense heat at a target by looking at it. She can vary the heat and area affected.
- Super-Hearing: Faora's hearing is sensitive enough to hear any sound at any volume or pitch. With skill and concentration, she can block out ambient sounds to focus on a specific source or frequency.
- Enhanced Vision Faora's vision processes the entire electromagnetic spectrum as well as allowing vast control over selective perception and focus.
This umbrella ability includes the following:
- Electromagnetic Spectrum Vision: Faora can see well into most of the electromagnetic spectrum. She can see and identify radio and television signals as well as all other broadcast or transmitted frequencies. Using this ability, she can avoid detection by radar or satellite monitoring methods. This also allows her to see the aura generated by living thing.
- Telescopic Vision: This is the ability to see something at a great distance, without violating the laws of physics. Though limited, the exact extent of the ability is undetermined. In function, it is similar to the zoom lens on a camera.
- X-Ray Vision: This is the ability to see through any volume of matter except lead. Faora's can see things behind a solid, opaque object as if it were not there. She can focus this ability to "peel back" layers of an object, allowing hidden image or inner workings to be observed. The exact type of energy perceived - such as x-rays, cosmic rays, or some other energy invisible to normal humans - is unclear. This ability perceives an ambient energy source though, it does not involve the eye projecting a concentrated, possibly toxic, beam to be reflected back from objects.
- Microscopic Vision: This is the ability to see extremely small objects and images down to the atomic level.
- Infrared Vision: Faora's can see with better acuity in darkness, and to a degree in total darkness.
- Flight: Faora is able to manipulate graviton particles to defy the forces of gravity and achieve flight. This ranges from hovering to moving in any posture, in any direction.
- Invulnerability: Due to the interaction of her dense molecular structure and supercharged bio-electric aura, Faora is nigh-invulnerable to extreme energy forces. In addition, her extends this protection against toxins and diseases.
- Superhuman Stamina: Faora is able to maintain continuous strenuous physical action for an indefinite period of time. This based on her body converting yellow solar radiation directly to energy, but is limited by physiological and psychological needs to eat, drink, and sleep.
- Superhuman Strength: Faora's strength is augmented by yellow solar radiation interacting with the greater than human density, resilience and biological efficiency of her musculature. Her strength is more an act of conscious will on energy fields than actual physical strength. It is this act of conscious will that enables her to perform physical feats that are beyond the mere application force, such as moving a mountain top without said rock crumbling under its own mass.
- Superhuman Speed: Faora is able to move at incredible speed by sheer force of will. This extends to her perceptions and allows for feats such as catching bullets in mid flight as well as covering vast distances in little or no time.
This also confers:
- Super-Breath: Faora is able to create hurricane force winds by exhaling air from her lungs. She can chill the air as it leaves her lungs to freeze targets. She can also reverse the process to pull large volumes of air or vapor into her lungs.
In addition to her Kryptonian powers, Faora also had:
- Phantom Form While she existed in the Phantom Zone, Faora Hu-Ul was effectively immortal, and would not age or die.
- Psychic Bolts: She was able to project psychic bolts that weakened even Kryptonians from the Phantom Zone. Superman, having been raised years under a yellow sun, is not susceptible to this attack.
- Telepathy: Faora could telepathically communicate, and sometimes she could do it uncounsciounsly.
- Kryptonian Physiology: Under the effects of a "yellow" sun, Zaora possesses the same potential weaknesses as an average Kryptonian. These include:
- This version of Faora Hu-Ul (Earth-One), including all history and corresponding appearances, was erased from existence following the collapse of the original Multiverse in the 1985–86 Crisis on Infinite Earths limited series. Even though versions of the character may have since appeared, this information does not apply to those versions.
- 13 Appearances of Faora Hu-Ul (Earth-One)
- 3 Images featuring Faora Hu-Ul (Earth-One)
- 2 Quotations by or about Faora Hu-Ul (Earth-One)
- Character Gallery: Faora Hu-Ul (Earth-One)
|Superman Villain(s) |
This character is or was primarily an enemy of Superman in any of his various incarnations, or members of the Superman Family. This template will categorize articles that include it into the "Superman Villains category."