Frances Kane met Wally West when he was seven. They grew up friends, but when she reached adulthood, she started to exhibit strange magnetic powers. Wally tried teaching her how to use them properly, and they fell in love. As for her powers, she never really wanted them, wanting just to lead a normal life. For a while, she served with the Teen Titans as the super-heroine Magenta.
She and Wally West were seeing each other for awhile, shortly after Wally had taken up the mantle of the Flash. She helped him battle Vandal Savage. After he won the lottery, he bought a mansion in Middle Hampton, Long Island, and asked her to live with him. However, things were moving too fast for her, and she moved out.
She re-surfaced much later, interrupting an important Central City Stars baseball game to get Wally's attention. Because of her powers, she had apparently built a dark personality for herself, complete with twisted memories of her time with Wally. After a battle in the stadium, Wally managed to convince her that he still had feelings for her, restoring her to her normal self.
This episode obviously didn't help matters with Wally's current girlfriend, Linda Park. A little talk between her and Frances helped to mend some of the wounds.
Meanwhile, Wally, with the help of old friends Starfire and Nightwing, had been flushing the technomob Combine out of Keystone City. As a going away present, they had randomly transported a bomb somewhere in the city. Wally knew that their transportation system created great electromagnetic fields, fields that he knew Frances would be able to pick up. Once they found the bomb, however, Frances wasn't strong enough to pick it up. Wally was forced to enrage her, like she was at the baseball stadium, to give her the strength to get rid of the bomb. After this event, they came to terms that their relationship was over, and she left.
However, she did return, in a much nastier state of mind, to Keystone City. Wally had heard from the Titans that she had already been bothering them. She used her powers to send a giant rig driving crazily throughout the city, and constructed a magnetic forcefield to keep Wally out. She grabbed Linda, who was reporting the mayhem, and drew her into the force field. Since all Wally could do was remove obstacles in the path of the truck, it was up to Linda to make Frances realize that Wally was not responsible for her decisions, for who she was. In the nick of time, just before the truck was about to fall into a quarry, Frances let down the force field and Wally got them to safety. Frances disappeared.
- Magnetic Manipulation: Using her power of magnetism, Francine can produce a number of magnetic effects. She can manipulate, repel or attract metal objects of varying sizes. Naturally, the more metal is in an object the easier it is for her to affect magnetically. This can range from small things like iron in peoples blood to as big as building structures. The more metal she needs or wants to use the more pressure it is on her.
- Although this character was originally introduced during DC's Earth-One era of publication, their existence following the events of the 1985-86 limited series Crisis on Infinite Earths remains intact. However, some elements of the character's Pre-Crisis history may have been altered or removed for Post-Crisis New Earth continuity, and should be considered apocryphal.
- Frances dated Wally West during his stay in the Teen Titans and before as well as after he won the lottery.
- 73 Appearances of Frances Kane (New Earth)
- 18 Images featuring Frances Kane (New Earth)
- Quotations by or about Frances Kane (New Earth)
- Character Gallery: Frances Kane (New Earth)
- Magenta at dccomics.com
- Magenta (comics) at Wikipedia.org
- Magenta bio at Flash: Those Who Ride the Lightning
- Magenta article at Titanstower.com
- Magenta bio at the Unofficial Guide to the DC Universe
Discover and Discuss
- Search this site for:
- Search the Forums for:
Holy anachronisms, Batman!
This article is in need of updated information.