Gam-El was an ancient native of the planet, Krypton and one of the most revered members of the esteemed House of El. Known as Gam-El the architect, he helped to bring Krypton out of the ashes of the Last War and usher in a new era of cultural and technological advancement. Gam-El passed away (presumably of natural causes) many years prior to the destruction of Krytpon. His direct descendents would one day include Krypton's last male heir, Superman. Gam-El's legacy survived the death of his home world and a statue of him was erected in the House of El memorial hall in New Kandor on the planet Rokyn.
The great city of Kryptonopolis was destroyed in the final days of the Erkol/Urrika War (also called the Last War). Some thirty years later, the respected architect, Gam-El, traveled to the wartorn continent of Lurvan to survey the wreckage. With his assistant, Marg-Rom, he made an appeal to the Kryptonian Science Council to rebuild Kryptonopolis and restore it to its former glory. Further, he wanted to relocate the official city-seat from Kandor to New Kryptonopolis. The Science Council approved Gam-El's proposition and provided him with sufficient financial backing to begin his project.
Midway through construction, Gam-El detected various signs of sabotage. A group of nefarious individuals bombed one of the site foundations in the nightime hours. Gam-El contacted his brother, Pym-El, of the Kryptonian Security Forces and together they routed out the young terrorists. Pym-El tricked them into revealing the name of their benefactor – a wealthy Kandorian entrepreneur named, Kly-Anth. Gam and Pym-El traveled to Kandor and confronted Kly-Anth directly. Kly-Anth confessed to being the leading property owner in all of Kandor. Many Kandorians threatened to leave Kandor for the new city, which would have cost Kly-Anth substantially in lost revenue. Pym-El arrested him and from that point on, construction of Kryptonopolis continued without obstruction. By 9874, Kryptonopolis became the official capital city of Krypton.
- This version of Gam-El (Earth-One), including all history and corresponding appearances, was initially erased from existence following the collapse of the original Multiverse in the 1985-86 Crisis on Infinite Earths limited series. However the ending of Convergence retroactively prevented that collapse, saving all the alternate realities, though in an "evolved" form. Even though versions of the character may have since appeared, this information does not apply to those versions.
- 1 Appearances of Gam-El (Earth-One)
- 2 Images featuring Gam-El (Earth-One)
- Quotations by or about Gam-El (Earth-One)
- Character Gallery: Gam-El (Earth-One)