Gateway City was originally known as Fort Peter and was established by fur trading Russians who migrated to the area from Alaska in 1812. By the time California was taken possession of by the United States, Fort Peter had grown to become a haven for artists and craftsmen as well as the site of a large harbor. The city was rechristened Gateway City because of this harbor. 
In 1876, the rich Sloane Family moved to Gateway City from St. Louis and helped make the pre-existing harbor the third most prosperous port on the west coast.
Points of Interest
- Saint Elias School for Girls
- This is a prestigious private school located in Gateway City. Cassandra Sandsmark, Cissie King-Jones and Greta Hayes attended the school.
- See also: Category:Saint Elias School for Girls/Appearances
- Gateway City is home to the largest collection of Greek Artifacts outside of Greece.
- Appearances of Gateway City
- Location Gallery: Gateway City
- Catalogued images related to Gateway City
Links and References
- ↑ DCU Travel Guide: Gateway City