Geoffrey Thibodeux was a small-framed physicist who was granted a bulky body and gravity powers by wristbands provided by the Overmaster, who drafted him into the original Cadre under the alias "Black Mass". Following their battle with the Justice League of America, Black Mass was sent to prison. Years later, he briefly lost his wristbands to Wally Tortolino in a card game but had them returned. Eventually the wristbands and their power bonded permanently with his body.
During the Joker’s 'Last Laugh' riots at the Slab, Black Mass used his powers to draw the entire facility into a gravity well. A bullet to the head from Dina Bell left Black Mass a vegetable, but he retained his powers and would later become the cellmate of Doctor Polaris, unwittingly keeping the magnetic villain's powers in check. Still brain damaged, Black Mass was seen rejoining the Cadre under the leadership of Polaris in San Francisco. They fought the Power Company, who ultimately tricked Black Mass into betraying Polaris.
- Although this character was originally introduced during DC's Earth-One era of publication, their existence following the events of the 1985-86 limited series Crisis on Infinite Earths remains intact. However, some elements of the character's Pre-Crisis history may have been altered or removed for Post-Crisis New Earth continuity, and should be considered apocryphal.
- 22 Appearances of Geoffrey Thibodeux (New Earth)
- 9 Images featuring Geoffrey Thibodeux (New Earth)
- Quotations by or about Geoffrey Thibodeux (New Earth)
- Character Gallery: Geoffrey Thibodeux (New Earth)
Discover and Discuss
- Search this site for:
- Search the Forums for:
This character is or was primarily an enemy of the Justice League, in any of its various incarnations. This template will categorize articles that include it into the category "Justice League Villains."