|Gillian B. Loeb|
|Real Name||Gillian B. Loeb|
|Affiliation||The GCPD, the Falcone Crime Family|
|Base Of Operations||Gotham City|
|Creators||Frank Miller, Dave Mazzucchelli|
|First Appearance||Appearance of Death|
Gillian Loeb was Commissioner of the Gotham City Police Department when James Gordon and the Batman first arrived in Gotham City. He was thoroughly corrupt and found Gordon's honesty troubling for his operations. Initially, Loeb did not have any real problems with Batman, believing him to be a simple street vigilante. However, he attempted to launch a full-scale police war against Batman when Batman attacked his residence during a dinner party with his criminal and political contacts, and publicly announced that he fully intended to bring them all down as well. However, the vigilante proved frustratingly elusive until an impromptu rescue on the street led to him being cornered in an abandoned building. Although the situation already seemed hopeless for the Batman when the police surrounded the building, Loeb also ordered it firebombed before he sent in his SWAT strike teams. Batman still escaped, much to Loeb's aggravation.
Eventually, Batman's investigations and devastating information unearthed by District Attorney Harvey Dent's prosecution of one of his lackeys, Officer Arnold Flass, forced Loeb to resign. Commissioner Grogan (New Earth), who Gordon thohught was even worse then Loeb, would replace him. Gordon would eventually replace Grogan as Commissioner.
A short time later Loeb was killed by "The Hangman" for being a known associate of Harvey Dent.
- Commissioner Loeb appears in the 2005 feature film Batman Begins, played by English actor Colin McFarlane. The character is African-American and there is no direct indication that he is corrupt, although this version is also at odds with Batman, considering him a dangerous vigilante and launching a police task force to arrest him. Many fans believe that this portrayal is more akin to the Commissioner in the comic series at the time, Commissioner Akins, due to McFarlane's ethnicity, appearance and manner.
- Frank Miller has stated that Commissioner Loeb's name had nothing to do with fellow writer "Jeph Loeb," despite the common assumption.
- 7 Appearances of Gillian B. Loeb (New Earth)
- 10 Images featuring Gillian B. Loeb (New Earth)
- Quotations by or about Gillian B. Loeb (New Earth)
- Character Gallery: Gillian B. Loeb (New Earth)
Discover and Discuss
- Search this site for:
- Search the Forums for:
|GCPD Officer |
This character is or was an officer of, or held a title in the Gotham City Police Department, in any of its various incarnations. This template will automatically categorize articles that include it into the "GCPD members" and "Police Officers" categories.
|Batman Villain(s) |
This character, team or organization, is or was primarily an enemy of the Batman, or the Batman Family as a whole. This template will categorize articles that include it into the category "Batman Villains."