Appearing in "The Planet of Doomed Men"
- Guardians of the Universe (First appearance)
- The Dryg (Single appearance)
- Green Lantern (Abin Sur) (Dies in flashback)
- Calorians (Single appearance)
- Abin Sur's Starship (flashback only)
Synopsis for "The Planet of Doomed Men"
While out testing a new aircraft, Hal's astral form is transported to the world of the Guardians, who seek to know who took over the role of Green Lantern in that sector of space from Abin Sur. Hal recounts the events that led to him becoming the Green Lantern. Convinced that Hal is worthy of the title, they erase his memory and return his astral form to his physical body, deciding that now is not the time for Hal to know of their existence.
Returning to his dressing room at the Ferris Aircraft Company, Hal gets a message from his Power Battery asking him to defend the beings on the planet Calor. Traveling out that way, Hal finds a race of primitive humanoids being terrorized by a monstrous creature that can fire mental bolts of energy. As he battles the creature, it's a race against time as the 24 hour deadline for his power ring's charge looms. Hal uses his power ring to freeze the creature in ice and places it in a glacier where it will not thaw out. Hal returns to Earth with just enough time before his power ring loses its charge.
Appearing in "Menace of the Giant Puppet!"
- Puppet Master (First appearance)
- Biffy (Single appearance)
Synopsis for "Menace of the Giant Puppet!"
As Carol laments over yet another date with the Green Lantern ending with the Lantern saving a man who is drowning, the Lantern is presently participating in the annual Coast City parade. His mind is also elsewhere, but instead of romance like Carol, he's thinking about a series of bizarre crimes that have been plaguing the city. In each case, a law-abiding citizen tries to rob a place and is captured by the Green Lantern. In each situation the person caught claims to have been controlled as if like a puppet. After a series of "puppet master" crimes, Green Lantern is convinced that there is somebody controlling other people. Hal is suddenly snapped out of his thoughts when one of the balloons in the parade -- made to look like a puppet -- suddenly comes to life and starts shooting at him with a giant gun. Hal however, easily defeats the puppet with his power ring.
Later while taking Carol to a dance, the Puppet Master uses his hypno-ray to bring Green Lantern to his secret hideout. The Emerald Crusader manages to free himself and the Puppet Master is no match in battle against him and he easily captures him and turns him over to the police.
- "The Planet of Doomed Men" is reprinted in Secret Origins #1, Secret Origins Special Giant Issue #1, DC Special Blue Ribbon Digest #4, Showcase Presents: Green Lantern, Volume 1 and Green Lantern Archives, Volume 1.
- "Menace of the Giant Puppet" is reprinted in Wanted #1, Showcase Presents: Green Lantern, Volume 1 and Green Lantern Archives, Volume 1.
- Green Lantern (Hal Jordan) appeared last in Brave and the Bold #30 with the Justice League of America. He appears next in Green Lantern (Volume 2) #2.
- This issue incldues flashbacks of Hal's first encounter with Abin Sur, originally presented in Showcase #22. This issue chronicles Hal's origin and his acceptance of the role of Green Lantern.
- This issue features the first appearance of the Guardians of the Universe. The Guardians function as an intergalactic peace-keeping organization, and they are the architects of the Green Lantern Corps. The Guardians appear next in Green Lantern (Volume 2) #7.
- The Puppet Master is not to be confused with Phillip Masters, the Puppet Master from Marvel Comics who is usually found plaguing the Fantastic Four. The Puppet Master appears next in Justice League of America #5.
- Artist Gil Kane based the appearance of the Guardians of the Universe on Prime Minister of Israel David Ben-Gurion.
- This issue establishes that a year has passed between the death of Abin Sur and Hal Jordan's introduction to the Guardians of the Universe.
- Write your own review of this comic!
- Discuss Green Lantern Vol 2 1 on the forums
- Cover gallery for the Green Lantern series
- Images from Green Lantern Vol 2 1