Appearing in "The Green That Got Away"
- Hector Hammond (new story told as flashback)
- Green Arrow (Oliver Queen) (Flashback only)
Synopsis for "The Green That Got Away"
Green Lantern rescues the crew of the ship that exploded at the end of the previous issue. He drops them off at a dock where reporter Tawny Young asks for an interview. Her questions prompt Green Lantern to remember a previous adventure. In the flashback, Green Lantern chases some theives who stole a transport truck filled with antique cars. Green Lantern pursues and catches a few released cars when his ring shorts out and his power abruptly disappears. He drives one of the cars and heads off the truck. He bluffs the driver into stopping threatening them with his non-functioning ring. Soon after the ring begins working again. Green Lantern asks the ring what happened but the ring cannot say. Green Lantern deduces that someone is stealing the energy and manages to get the ring to lead him to the culprit. Green Lantern enters the prison cell of Hector Hammond who reveals he has been tapping into the ring's power for months. With the energy, Hammond has been able to retrieve his mobility. He steals the rest of the ring's energy and uses it to cause the wall to form a giant stone hand grabbing Green Lantern. He mentions that he has been using the energy to search for the meteor that caused his initial transformation in hopes of evolving further into an unbeatable form. He leaves to continue the search. Green Lantern realizes that the stone hand still contains green energy residue in order to hold it's shape. He concentrates and commands the energy to open the hand. He races back to his power battery and recharges. Then he flies off after Hammond encountering him in space. The two fight and Green Lantern keeps him busy until the 24-hour charge of the stolen energy runs out. He then captures Hammond and returns him to prison. Back in the present, Green Lantern spots an airplane about to crash and he rescues the plane. Meanwhile, on Oa, the Guardians have been studying a threat - planet Omnicron Ceti IV's core is unstable and is about to explode. They decide they must summon Hal Jordan to combat the threat.
Appearing in "Final Duties"
Synopsis for "Final Duties"
Kwo spends his last day as a Green Lantern. He visits Minos III and stops a train wreck. At Minos IV he stops an earthquake. He stops an invading force from Krodarr from attacking Vrygoth. He visits planet Elysium (formerly planet Bloodworld where he had once defeated tyrant K'runak K'ann) where he retrieves a lost kite for a small child. He redirects a meteor storm away from habited planet Balgus VI to a new water-covered planet making a small landmass. Then he flies to Oa where his ring is passed on to his successor.
- The primary story this issue - the battle with Hector Hammond - is told as a flashback. It is not specified when this story actually occurred but a reference is made to various power ring glitches including issue Green Lantern & Green Arrow (Volume 1) #115. The flashback sequence, pages 3 - 14, are reprinted from Green Lantern (Volume 2) #128. The framing sequences before and after are original material.
- Hector Hammond's last appearance is listed as Green Lantern & Green Arrow (Volume 1) #101.
- No trivia.
- Write your own review of this comic!
- Discuss Green Lantern Vol 2 177 on the forums
- Cover gallery for the Green Lantern series
- Images from Green Lantern Vol 2 177
Links and References
- Green Lantern at Wikipedia.org
- Green Lantern at DC Comics
- Great Book of Oa
- Green Lantern Corps
- Green Lantern Shrine
- Emerald Dawn Main Page
- Green Lantern at TV Tropes