- I was a Green Lantern before, even if it was only for a day -- but this time, I'm goin' on forever!
- -- Guy Gardner
Appearing in "4"
Synopsis for "4"
Having just been chosen as the new Green Lantern of Sector 2814, Guy Gardner is transported to Oa by one of the Guardians of the Universe. Although he tries to tag along, Hal Jordan is jettisoned just as they're approaching the planet. The Guardian goes over Guy's history as Hal Jordan's backup and his frequent inconveniencing injuries, explaining he is being chosen now because John Stewart is fighting for the Monitor.
On Earth, Katma Tui tries to help with the natural disasters occurring because of the Crisis, and her Ring's power suddenly shuts off because of problems with the Central Power Battery of Oa. In the 19th Century, where John Stewart fights Shadow Demons with Cyborg, Jonah Hex, Bat Lash and Scalphunter and his Green Lantern Ring shuts off unexpectedly as well.
Back on Oa, wandering the uncivilized parts, Hal Jordan quests to become a Green Lantern again. He finds himself strangely able to fly, and realizes he is gaining power from the planet itself, which has absorbed energies and even gained minor degrees of sentience over the years. He finds his way into a research tunnel, and commandeers a vehicle to take him to the Central Citadel of Oa. He is briefly forced to fight one of the monsters freed by the loss of Green energy from the Sciencells, but escapes and takes off on foot.
The Guardians discuss their role in the Crisis with Guy Gardner, and summarize Krona and the birth of the Anti-Monitor. They intend to begin a new, smaller Corps with their weakened energies, featuring Gardner as one of their newest recruits. When Hal Jordan arrives, Green Lanterns K'ryssma and Apros attempt to bar his access. He is granted an audience with the Guardians. The Guardians Hal talks to believe that they should not fight the destruction of the Universe as it is their unchangeable destiny, while the Guardians Guy talks to are attempting to combat it; they disagree, and have been split up into factions. Guy Gardner is given his own Ring, and after years of reserve status is officially inducted into the Green Lantern Corps.
- This issue is a Crisis on Infinite Earths crossover.
- John Stewart fights alongside Cyborg, Firebrand, Psimon, Bat Lash, Jonah Hex, Scalphunter, Nighthawk and Johnny Thunder in the 19th Century in Crisis on Infinite Earths #3.
- Guy Gardner becoming the official new Green Lantern happens in Crisis on Infinite Earths #9.
- The Central Power Battery of Oa was destroyed by the Anti-Monitor last issue, and in Crisis on Infinite Earths #2.
- Hal Jordan retired from the Green Lantern Corps in Green Lantern (Volume 2) #181. John Stewart has been acting as official Green Lantern of Sector 2814 since Green Lantern (Volume 2) #182.
- Guy Gardner was put into a coma in Green Lantern (Volume 2) #116, and was only recently brought out of it. This prevented him from taking Jordan's place as Green Lantern during this time. Instead, the Guardians went with their second backup, John Stewart, first put on reserve during another of Gardner's injuries in Green Lantern (Volume 2) #87.
- Krona's tale was originally told in Green Lantern (Volume 2) #40. It was most recently retold in Crisis on Infinite Earths #7.
- Write your own review of this comic!
- Discuss Green Lantern Vol 2 195 on the forums
- Cover gallery for the Green Lantern series
Links and References
- Green Lantern at Wikipedia.org
- Green Lantern at DC Comics
- Green Lantern Corps
- Green Lantern at TV Tropes
- Crisis on Infinite Earths
- Annotated Crisis on Infinite Earths
- Crisis on Infinite Earths at the Continuity Pages
- Crisis on Infinite Earths at the Grand Comics Database
Crisis on Infinite Earths Crossover