"My Kind of Loving, a Way of Death!": Black Canary is motorbiking in Washington State, when four thugs belonging to a motorcycle gang called the Demons attack her, hoping to steal her bike. She defeats them all effortlessly, but one of her assailants recovers a
- Maybe when we get you straightened out, we'll learn something... maybe we'll finally know how maniacs like Joshua can come to be... how they can seize the hearts of decent people and fill them with the poison to hate... of bigotry! Sure, the hypnotism was part of it... but there had to be a part of you that responded to his insanity -- you... me... all of us! Maybe now we can get rid of that part... forever.
- -- Green Arrow
Appearing in "My Kind of Loving, a Way of Death!"
- Black Canary (Flashback and main story)
- Demons Motorcycle Club (Single appearance)
- Snake-Eyes (Single appearance)
- Joshua the Cult Leader (Only appearance; dies)
- Justice League of America (Flashback only)
- Justice Society of America (Flashback only)
- Larry Lance (Dies in flashback)
- Old Timer
Synopsis for "My Kind of Loving, a Way of Death!"
Black Canary is motorbiking in Washington State, when four thugs belonging to a motorcycle gang called the Demons attack her, hoping to steal her bike. She defeats them all effortlessly, but one of her assailants recovers and runs her down with his motorbike, knocking her unconscious. A mysterious figure finds her and carries her off.
Two weeks later, Oliver Queen, Hal Jordan, and one of the Guardians arrive in a nearby Indian reserve looking for food. However, soon after they finish eating, the same thugs who had attacked Black Canary appear, and assault the proprietor, making racist remarks. Ollie and Hal suit up and subdue the attackers but they soon recognize that one of their motorbike's is actually Black Canary's. Green Arrow is enraged, forcing Green Lantern to hold him back.
After the Demons are apprehended, Green Arrow and Green Lantern investigate the site of Black Canary's attack, and though the trail is cold, they soon catch a glimpse of the Canary herself. Strangely, though, she states that she cannot go, because the place is her home. A mysterious man named Joshua appears, explaining that she is now a part of his family, to whom he preaches the truth. It soon becomes clear that Black Canary has been brainwashed. Before giving up for the moment, Oliver kisses her, which jogs her memory, somewhat. Before fully breaking free of Joshua, he gives her a package containing a gun, which he influences her to take.
Oliver and Hal argue over Black Canary's rejection, and the two part ways. At night, Oliver discovers that Joshua is training his 'family', including Black Canary, to use firarms for the purposes of killing all non-white men. Green Arrow signals for help from Green Lantern, but he is soon shot down by Joshua's people. While Green Lantern deals with the attackers, Joshua and Black Canary escape, and come upon an injured Green Arrow. Joshua commands Black Canary to execute him, but she cannot. Green Lantern appears and stops Joshua from shooting Green Arrow himself – using his ring to create a construct of a clenched fist to sock the maniacal racist leader across the jaw. This causes the gun to turn towards Joshua's heart and go off, killing him and thereby severing his control over Black Canary. All seems well, but Green Lantern warns that Joshua was not the first of his kind.
- This book was first published on May 26, 1970.
- Reprinted in Green Lantern/Green Arrow #2 and Showcase Presents: Green Lantern Volume 5.
- At the time of this issue's publication, Black Canary believed that she was the widow of Larry Lance and a former member of Earth-Two's Justice Society of America. However, it was revealed in Justice League of America #220 that this Black Canary was actually the daughter of the original. She had mystically-transferred memories of her mother and no knowledge of her own identity.
- No trivia.
- Write your own review of this comic!
- Discuss Green Lantern Vol 2 78 on the forums
- Cover gallery for the Green Lantern series
- Green Lantern (Volume 1)
- Green Lantern (Volume 2)
- Green Lantern (Volume 3)
- Green Lantern (Volume 4)
- Green Lantern (Volume 5)
- Green Lanterns (Volume 1)
- Green Lantern Corps (Volume 1)
- Green Lantern Corps (Volume 2)
- Green Lantern Corps (Volume 3)
- Green Lantern: New Guardians (Volume 1)
- Hal Jordan and the Green Lantern Corps (Volume 1)
- Red Lanterns (Volume 1)
- Sinestro (Volume 1)
- More Fun Comics (Volume 1)
- Green Arrow (Volume 1)
- Green Arrow (Volume 2)
- Green Arrow (Volume 3)
- Green Arrow (Volume 4)
- Green Arrow (Volume 5)
- Green Arrow (Volume 6)
- Green Arrow and Black Canary (Volume 1)
- Green Arrow: The Wonder Year (Volume 1)
- Green Arrow: The Longbow Hunters (Volume 1)
- Green Arrow: Year One (Volume 1)
- Connor Hawke: Dragon's Blood (Volume 1)
- Black Canary (Volume 1)
- Black Canary (Volume 2)
- Black Canary (Volume 3)
Links and References
- Green Lantern at Wikipedia.org
- Green Lantern at DC Comics
- Green Lantern Corps
- Green Lantern at TV Tropes
- Green Arrow at Wikipedia.org
- Green Arrow Toonopedia
- Green Arrow at DCU Guide
- Green Arrow at Wold Newton Universe
- Green Arrow at TV Tropes
- Green Arrow at the DC Animated Universe Wikia
- Green Arrow at Adherents