Greg Sanders was born in the Western United States near the end of the first World War, the son of a noted lawman. Choosing to become a singer and songwriter (the "Prairie Troubadour") rather than follow in his father's footsteps, Greg nevertheless learned to handle a gun and a lasso as well as Sheriff Sanders ever had, and when his father was killed by bandits he had been trying to apprehend, Greg took up his guns and avenged him. He swore a vow on his father's grave to dedicate himself to the path of justice, and donned the mask of the Vigilante, dividing his time between the West and New York and partnering with first Billy Gunn and then Stuff, the Chinatown kid. In the early 1940s, he became a member of both the All-Star Squadron and the Seven Soldiers of Victory but a few years later, he and the other members of the Seven Soldiers faced the monstrous Nebula Man, and were transported through time to various periods in history (in Greg's case, the American West in the 1800s). He and the other Soldiers were eventually rescued by the time traveling Justice Society of America and their colleagues, the Justice League of America from Earth-One, only to find that while very little time had passed for them, they had been brought "back" to a period decades into their own future. Having to adjust to life in the present day, Sanders retired from crime fighting for the most part and seldom donned his mask again, though he did appear in costume at the memorial service held for his former teammate the Crimson Avenger.
Sanders habitually rode a motorcycle
modified six shooters
- This version of Gregory Sanders (Earth-Two), including all history and corresponding appearances, was initially erased from existence following the collapse of the original Multiverse in the 1985-86 Crisis on Infinite Earths limited series. However the ending of Convergence retroactively prevented that collapse saving all the alternate realities though in an "evolved" form. Even though versions of the character may have since appeared, this information does not apply to those versions.
- 199 Appearances of Gregory Sanders (Earth-Two)
- 8 Images featuring Gregory Sanders (Earth-Two)
- 1 Quotations by or about Gregory Sanders (Earth-Two)
- Character Gallery: Gregory Sanders (Earth-Two)
Discover and Discuss
- Search this site for:
- Search the Forums for:
|Seven Soldiers of Victory member|
This character is or was a member of the Seven Soldiers of Victory, or the Seven Soldiers in any of its various incarnations, created during World War II and later, it returned to battle time-traveling, dimension-spanning mysteries and monsters.