Grey Elk was an Apache Native American and the leader of his tribe who lived in the territory of Echo Valley in the mid 18th Century. Grey Elk's rival for position as tribal chief was the malicious Grey Wolf. In 1780, Grey Elk discovered a deposit of quartz amber in a canyon in the valley. Trapped inside the amber was the disembodied essence of an earth-spirit. In truth, this was the earth elemental known as Alec Holland, aka the Swamp Thing, whose spirit had been cast backwards in time from the late 20th century. Grey Elk communed with the trapped spirit who told him about events that would take place in the future. These events were regarded as prophecy and Grey Elk knew that his family would play a pivotal role in the formation of American history.
Grey Elk had two children, Moon Fawn and Wise Owl. Moon Fawn was destined to marry the frontiersman Tomahawk and give birth to a child who would become known as Hawk, Son of Tomahawk. His son, Wise Owl, was destined to covet the elemental's power for his own ends, and would play an integral part in the resurrection of bank teller Lazarus Lane, aka, El Diablo.
- Although this character was originally introduced during DC's Earth-Two era of publication, their existence following the events of the 1985-86 limited series Crisis on Infinite Earths remains intact. However, some elements of the character's Pre-Crisis history may have been altered or removed for Post-Crisis New Earth continuity, and no longer apply.
- Grey Elk's name has been spelled both as Grey Elk and Gray Elk.
- 2 Appearances of Grey Elk (New Earth)
- 1 Images featuring Grey Elk (New Earth)
- Quotations by or about Grey Elk (New Earth)
- Character Gallery: Grey Elk (New Earth)