Gustave was a man who originally made his living as an animal-trainer, and who could have made a living for himself indefinitely performing at circuses worldwide. However, he became inordinately greedy, and decided that he could do better by training animals to commit crimes for him. He began to do so, and when the police began to pursue him, he fled in a motorboat, heading out to sea. This allowed Aquaman to enter the chase, and although he was not able to capture Gustave, he and his fellow sea creatures did damage the boat enough to allow the Coast Guard to catch up to it. Aquaman himself was forced to break off the chase to handle another emergency.
Unfortunately, before the Coast Guard could pick up Gustave's boat, a small storm hit the area, and caused the boat to sink. When Aquaman returned and saw the wreckage, he presumed that Gustave had died and so abandoned the search.
Gustave did not die, though, and instead was able to make it to a small deserted island. There, he worked tirelessly on training the animals he found there, so that he could get revenge on Aquaman. After some months, he finally did succeed in luring Aquaman to his new island home, and as the Animal-Master, set out to gain his vengeance.
Aquaman defeated him once more, and this time Gustave was sent to prison.
- Although this character was originally introduced during DC's Earth-One era of publication, their existence following the events of the 1985–86 limited series Crisis on Infinite Earths remains intact. However, some elements of the character's Pre-Crisis history may have been altered or removed for Post-Crisis New Earth continuity, and should be considered apocryphal.
- 2 Appearances of Gustave (New Earth)
- 1 Images featuring Gustave (New Earth)
- Quotations by or about Gustave (New Earth)
- Character Gallery: Gustave (New Earth)
This character, team or organization, is or was primarily an enemy of Aquaman, or members of the Aquaman Family. This template will categorize articles that include it into the category "Aquaman Villains."