- Behold your wedding ring. Around your neck, you will profess your love. Or not. Your truth, then, will bind me... or hang you.
- -- Hades src
- -- Hades src
Hades, whom the Romans call Pluto, is the god god of the Underworld and the dead. He is a member of the Olympians, an extra-dimensional race once worshipped as a deity by the people of Ancient Greece and the Roman Empire. As god of the Underworld, Hades had the dominion over the spirits of the dead. His realm called Hades after himself was divided into four sections; Tartarus (land of the damned), the Asphodel Fields (a misty after-world), the Elysian Fields (where the righteous dwell) and the Isle of the Blessed (the paradise resting place of those deemed great heroes). Hades ruled these realms beside his niece and queen Persephone the daughter of Demeter.
Over the centuries, the Amazons have lied down their lives when anyone has tried to breach the doorway. Even though they feared Hades they still honored him as he was a god of their faith. Over the centuries the belief in the gods died off in the rest of the world but this just made the Amazons more important to the Olympians.
Hades first met Amazon Princess Wonder Woman very early in her career when she descended into the under world to destroy as many of the monsters kept their as possible. Wonder Woman has traveled into the Underworld many times to free a free the soul of a slain comrade, such as Artemis of Bana-Mighdall and the murdered messenger god Hermes.
The Olympians have now taken to wearing modern clothing when dealing with mortals. Hades now wears dark black suit with top hat and cane like an undertaker.
The power in the Olympian pantheon has changed since Athena took the throne from her father Zeus. Hades was stabbed in the back by Ares. This action made Ares the new ruler of the Underworld. Gods cannot die so Hades was forced to be reborn in Tatarus trapped for eternity.
Powers and AbilitiesEdit
- Command the Dead: He is now also recognized as the Death God of the Greek Pantheon and thus has control over the dead.
- Superhuman Strength: Olympian strength level is many times that of most super-beings, the exact limits of which have never been measured. It is generally accepted they are sufficiently strong enough to lift 100 tons with minimal effort.
- Superhuman Speed: Olympians are capable of moving faster the the finest human athlete.
- Energy Manipulation: Olympians has the power to control and project multiple types of energy.
- Metamorphosis: Olympians can alter their physical form (presumably) into any shape that they can choose.
- Immortality: Olympians are immortal and will never truly die. Olympians do not age the way a normal human does.
- Invulnerability: Olympians are cannot be physically harmed by conventional means.
- Power Distribution: Olympians are can bestow a portion of their power unto others.
- Self-Sustenance: Olympians dor not require water or nourishment.
- Superhuman Stamina: Olympians are can operate for prolonged periods of time without tiring. They do not require sleep.
- Magical Manipulation: Olympians have the power to manipulate vast amounts of magic energy to nearly any effect they desires.
- Class 100+ ; It is generally accepted Olympians are sufficiently strong enough to lift 100 tons with minimal effort.
- Mortal Faith: Olympian vitality is dependent upon humanity's faith in the gods (though this has not always been consistent). When humanity's belief in the gods wanes, the gods lose a portion of their power. As such, their ability to influence the course of human events decreases.
- 23 Appearances of Hades (New Earth)
- 7 Images featuring Hades (New Earth)
- 1 Quotations by or about Hades (New Earth)
- Character Gallery: Hades (New Earth)
Discover and Discuss
- Search this site for:
- Search the Forums for:
|Wonder Woman Villain(s)|
This character is or was primarily an enemy of Wonder Woman and the Amazons in any of her various incarnations. This template will categorize articles that include it into the "Wonder Woman Villains category."