Hamilton Hill was a corrupt political stooge and crony of Gotham City councilman Rupert Thorne.
Whe Hill launched his candidature for Mayor of Gotham, his most strong opponent was City Commissioner Arthur Reeves, reason why he had Bruce Wayne and Commissioner Gordon's support. However, when he asked Wayne to fund his campaign, Wayne refused to contribute.
Hill won the Mayoral Election thanks to Thorne's manipulation of Arthur Reeves. On his first act as Mayor of Gotham, Hill made good on his campaing promises and asked Gordon his resignation within 24 hours, after which, if he hadn't complied, he would've been impeached. Gordon complied reluctantly and following Thorne's instructions, Hill appointed Peter Pauling as the new Police Commissioner. However, not long after this, Thorne came to the wrong conclusion that Hill and Pauling were conspiring against him and he tried to eliminate them. He only managed to murder Pauling as he was promptly stopped by Batman. For this reason, Hill remained free and with Pauling dead and Thorne deemed as insane, Hill remained free for lack of evidence against him. With Thorne arrested and Pauling dead, Mayor Hill had no choice but to reinstate James Gordon as Police Commissioner.
Mayor of Gotham
When Hill noticed Gordon's declining health, he decided to appoint the troublesome police officer Harvey Bullock as Gordon's assistant, with the intention of undermine Gordon's determination. Bullock's attitude and his apparent improved performance to that of Gordon, were part of Hill's plan to get rid of Gordon.
Hill's actions earned him the enmity of many, including homicide detective Harvey Bullock. Hill arranged for Bullock to be murdered, but Harvey survived the attack. Hamilton then sought to shatter the public's support of the city's nocturnal vigilante, Batman. He framed Batman for a string of petty rivalries by planting evidence at the crime scenes. Ironically, during this time, the psychotic villain, the Night-Slayer, had briefly assumed the identity of Batman, and began to commit his own crime-spree. The true Batman fought the Night-Slayer, exposing him as an impostor. Shortly thereafter, Hamilton Hill's involvement in the frame-up came to light and he was run out of office. James Gordon was immediately reinstated as police commissioner of Gotham City.
- This version of Hamilton Hill, including all history and corresponding appearances, was initially erased from existence following the collapse of the original Multiverse in the 1985-86 Crisis on Infinite Earths limited series. However the ending of Convergence retroactively prevented that collapse, saving all the alternate realities, though in an "evolved" form. Even though versions of the character may have since appeared, this information does not apply to those versions.
- 30 Appearances of Hamilton Hill (Earth-One)
- 1 Images featuring Hamilton Hill (Earth-One)
- Quotations by or about Hamilton Hill (Earth-One)
- Character Gallery: Hamilton Hill (Earth-One)
|Batman Villain(s) |
This character, team or organization, is or was primarily an enemy of the Batman, or the Batman Family as a whole. This template will categorize articles that include it into the category "Batman Villains."