- Never send a business man to do a psychopath's job.
- -- Harley Quinn src
Harleen Quinzel was originally a psychiatrist working for Arkham Asylum. It was through her work that she eventually met the Joker. While trying to rehabilitate him she fell in love with him. This led to her breaking him out of Arkham Asylum.
After breaking him out she built the identity of Harley Quinn, his criminal girlfriend. She apparently kept her criminal activities a secret as she was able to return to a civilian life after he was put into prison. She was just as manipulative and dangerous as he was. Indeed, her knowledge and expertise of psychology and psychiatric therapy made her even more dangerous then the Joker on one level because she could expertly manipulate others to do her bidding and pull the strings from behind the scenes via others. This, in turn, allowed her to have a secret identity. She operated with great finesse. Not much is known about their in-universe relationship besides the fact they at some point talked about having children before he was arrested and taken to prison. In prison she could no longer have contact with him.
This being so she decided to take her rage out on the city she felt had split them up. Her ultimate goals, beyond wreaking havoc in New Gotham were unclear. However, when she returned to New Gotham after having been away, it is implied that she involved with the criminal elements of New Gotham and beginning to build her own crime syndicate. During that time she returned to her life as Harleen Quinzel wherein she opened an office and restarted her practice.
It was because of her work as a therapist that she met Helena Kyle who was ordered by the court to attend anger management sessions and as such was referred to Doctor Quinzel's practice. It is strongly implied that Doctor Quinzel was bisexual because of certain things she has done in Helena prescience, such as holding onto her too long during and embrace and sensually licking her face.
- Manipulation: Harleen Quinzel is very manipulative. She is able to convince people to do anything and is extremely violent. This means she will resort to any means necessary so crossing her is not something people normally do.
- Hand-to-Hand Combat (Basic): She has also been shown to have some ability in hand to hand combat; being able to hold her own against Helena.
Harleen Quinzel tends to be more "hands-off" than other criminals. She only pulls the strings.
- This version of the character is exclusive to the continuity of the television series The Batman and is an adaptation of Harleen Quinzel/Harley Quinn. The original character was created by Paul Dini and Bruce Timm and first appeared in the episode "Joker's Favor" of the series Batman.
- The role of Harleen Quinzell was portrayed by Mia Sara who replaced Sherilyn Fenn, who had been cast in the role for the original unaired pilot episode, on the Birds of Prey television series. In this show, Harley is portrayed as a far more calculating and sinister character than her bubbly comic and cartoon persona. She also does not wear a costume, although she does wear an outfit that is reminiscent of her cartoon costume in the series finale, "Devil's Eyes".
- 3 Appearances of Harleen Quinzel (Birds of Prey)
- 3 Images featuring Harleen Quinzel (Birds of Prey)
- 2 Quotations by or about Harleen Quinzel (Birds of Prey)
- Character Gallery: Harleen Quinzel (Birds of Prey)
Discover and Discuss
- Search this site for:
- Search the Forums for:
This is an in-universe article with out-of-universe material.
|Birds of Prey television series. This template will categorize articles that include it into Birds of Prey (TV Series) Characters.|