|Real Name||Harold Allnut|
|Current Alias||Harold Allnut|
|Affiliation||Batman Family; former servant of the Penguin|
|Base Of Operations||Batcave, Wayne Manor, Gotham City|
|Unusual Features||Unusually severe kyphosis, a type of spinal curvature (in this case bending forward and giving a "hunchbacked" appearance. Harold was also a mute and an autistic savant.|
|Place of Death||Gotham City|
|Creators||Dennis O'Neil, Denys Cowan|
|First Appearance||Appearance of Death|
Harold Allnut was originally a henchman for the Penguin, who forced him to construct various doomsday devices. Later, Batman saved Harold and let him live in the Batcave where he formed a friendship with Ace the Bat-Hound and Bruce's butler Alfred Pennyworth.
When Jean-Paul Valley assumed the role of Batman, Harold and Ace were the first to see that he was out of control and they avoided him, hiding deep within the cave. Harold and Alfred helped repair the Batcave after one of Jean-Paul's destructive rampages and he later assisted in the reconstruction of Gotham City during the "No Man's Land" affair.
Some time later, the villain known as Hush bribed Harold into manipulating the Bat-Computer in exchange for a surgical procedure that corrected Harold's stature and enabled him to speak. Batman soon discovered that Harold had betrayed him, and during the confrontation, Hush used a sniper rifle to shoot Harold in the head, killing him.
Powers and AbilitiesEdit
- Mechanical Aptitude: Harold was a veritable genius in the field of automechanics, and proved vital when Batman required repairs on the Batmobile or other technological devices located inside the Batcave.
- Kyphosis: Kyphosis, which is spinal curvature either forward or back, is distinct from scoliosis -- curvature to the side. Hundreds of millions of people have either or both kinds of spinal curvature. However, good health care in developed countries today means that most people in these countries have much less severe spinal curvature than Harold. Harold's condition is suggestive of genetic bone weakness, or very bad nutrition since infancy, or many years of harsh labor and lifting heavy objects without medical aid, or all three. Historians recognize that very bad spinal curvature was common among those who did heavy labor in medieval times.
- Harold's only known relative is his unnamed mother, who appears in flashback during the events of No Man's Land and angrily tells her son she never wants to see him again.
- 42 Appearances of Harold Allnut (New Earth)
- 3 Images featuring Harold Allnut (New Earth)
- Quotations by or about Harold Allnut (New Earth)
- Character Gallery: Harold Allnut (New Earth)
Discover and Discuss
- Search this site for:
- Search the Forums for:
|Batman Family member |
This character is or was an incarnation of or an ally of Batman, and a member of the Batman Family. This template will automatically categorize articles that include it into the "Batman Family members" category.