Harry Carew was an employee of Concordance Research, working for department head, Quentin Quale. He specialized in audio-video engineering. Harry became a close colleague of physicist Martin Stein, and encouraged Martin to keep in good physical shape whenever possible. Harry spent more time jogging laps around the campus than he did inside his own laboratory. Harry developed a curiosity about Stein when he began to notice Stein's penchant for abruptly disappearing at odd moments. Little did Harry realize, was that this was because Stein formed one half of a composite super-hero entity known as Firestorm. Whenever Firestorm's dominant half, Ronnie Raymond, required the hero to be in action, he would mentally summon Stein's presence and automatically relocate him to wherever Firestorm was needed.
One evening while Stein was out performing deeds as Firestorm, Harry snuck into his office. Initially, he feared that Stein might be a rival towards his own accomplishments at Concordance, and schemed upon a means to sabotage Stein's progress. He found an audio recording that Stein had produced and later erased. Taking the recording back to his lab, Harry reconstructed portions of the erased audio feed. The information he learned from the tape involved an incident at the Hudson Nuclear Power Plant, but there was very little information that he could use to incriminate Stein. As the days passed on, Harry developed a fondness for Martin and regretted the feelings of inadequacy that led him to plot against him. He ceased conspiring against Stein and never told him how close he actually came to learning about the man's most highly guarded secret – the secret of Firestorm.
Harry specialized in audio-video related engineering. He was also a fitness expert and possessed an impressive knowledge of health-related issues.
Red jogging suit and matching sweat band.
- Harry was a regularly appearing supporting cast member in Firestorm (Volume 2).
- Although this character was originally introduced during DC's Earth-One era of publication, their existence following the events of the 1985–86 limited series Crisis on Infinite Earths remains intact. However, some elements of the character's Pre-Crisis history may have been altered or removed for Post-Crisis New Earth continuity, and should be considered apocryphal.
- 13 Appearances of Harold Carew (New Earth)
- 1 Images featuring Harold Carew (New Earth)
- Quotations by or about Harold Carew (New Earth)
- Character Gallery: Harold Carew (New Earth)