Looking for a different version of this character?
|As a result of the 2011 initiative, the New 52, the entire line of DC characters was relaunched, incorporating properties belonging to the company's imprints: Wildstorm, Milestone, and Vertigo. As such, elements of this character's history have been altered in some way from the previous incarnation's. For a complete list of all versions of this character, see our disambig.|
Hercules was once a brave and noble champion of mankind, born the demigod son of Zeus and a loving mortal woman, he eventually went on to become one of the greatest heroes in history. When the Giant-Born attacked Atlantis he came to the aid of the past king, Atlan, to aid in repelling and banishment of the eldritch beings.
Truly disposing of them required Hercules sacrificing himself in order to cast them into oblivion within a penal dimension through the use of the key to the Honeycomb, a gateway to a network of Atlantean portals. Taking the plunge the hero ended up sealed along with the Giant-Born when the first monarch closed the portal behind him.
For countless eons the demigod son battled the Giant-Born within the fiery alternate plane. Eventually losing his sanity to the malefic siren call of Celeana as she poisoned his mind bending it to hers and will of her kinsmen, when opportunity knocked the nightmarish spawn of the titans tricked Professor Evans into unsealing their prison after stealing Arthur's trident.
As they were met with opposition by said current king, Hercules was called upon to vanquish him. The one who enslaved his delirious psyche convinced him that the former king of Atlantis had sealed him with the Giant-Born, betraying him and leaving him to die. After a vicious brutal battle following the Giant-Born making their escape Aquaman managed to subdue Hercules by tricking him into drowning his adversary and then beating him senseless before putting the maddened Olympian within another prison dimension through Honeycomb portal called The Labyrinth.
- This character is an adaptation of Hercules, a character in traditional stories. These include, but may not be limited to religious texts, myth, and/or folk lore. More information on the original can be found at Wikipedia.org.
- Hercules was created by William Moulton Marston and Harry G. Peter, first appearing in All-Star Comics #8. However, in the Prime Earth continuity Hercules first appeared as part of the New 52 DC Universe in Aquaman (Volume 7) #29 by Jeff Parker and Paul Pelletier.
- 6 Appearances of Hercules (Prime Earth)
- 5 Images featuring Hercules (Prime Earth)
- Quotations by or about Hercules (Prime Earth)
- Character Gallery: Hercules (Prime Earth)
This character, team or organization, is or was primarily an enemy of Aquaman, or members of the Aquaman Family. This template will categorize articles that include it into the category "Aquaman Villains."