Hetepkheti Tefnakhte, known also as Khalis, was a priest who lived in the city of Bubastis in ancient Egypt in the year 2030 B.C. Unlike others from the city who worshiped Bast, the cat goddess, Khalis instead worshiped Anubis, the Death God. Anubis gave Khalis an amulet which bestowed great power upon him. Khalis used this power to enslave the people of Bubastis, forcing them to destroy their shrines and erect temples in honor of Anubis. The Lord of Order known as Nabu, took umbrage with Khalis' actions and stripped him of his medallion, and thus, of his power. As punishment, Nabu had Khalis mummified and buried alive.
Khalis remained entombed for centuries, and didn't rise again until 1955 when his sarcophagus was unearthed and delivered to the Boston Museum of Egyptology. Once resurrected, came into conflict with Doctor Fate, the current possessor of the Amulet of Anubis. Khalis was able to temporarily defeat Fate and reclaim his amulet, after which, he used its power to transform a section of Boston into a likeness of ancient Egypt. He summoned Anubis himself to present him with this elaborate gift, but Anubis was unimpressed and didn't even remember who Khalis was. With the help of his wife, Inza Nelson, Doctor Fate learned Khalis true name - Hetepkheti Tefnakhte. In Egyptian culture, knowledge of an opponent's true name grants one power over them. Invoking the power of the sun god Ammon-Ra, Doctor Fate spoke Khalis' true name and was able to destroy him.
- Immortality: Khalis was immortal and ceased to age beyond a certain point, although his body demonstrated characteristics akin to that of a living zombie. He also no longer required sleep or sustenance.
- Superhuman StrengthAs a mummy, Khalis possessed superhuman strength, the full limits of which are unknown.
- Occultism: Khalis was knowledgeable of Egyptian religious practices as it related to his native time period. By conducting specific rituals, he could summon the spirit of the Lord of the Underworld, Anubis.
- This version of Hetepkheti Tefnakhte (Earth-Two), including all history and corresponding appearances, was initially erased from existence following the collapse of the original Multiverse in the 1985-86 Crisis on Infinite Earths limited series. However the ending of Convergence retroactively prevented that collapse, saving all the alternate realities, though in an "evolved" form. Even though versions of the character may have since appeared, this information does not apply to those versions.
- 3 Appearances of Hetepkheti Tefnakhte (Earth-Two)
- 9 Images featuring Hetepkheti Tefnakhte (Earth-Two)
- Quotations by or about Hetepkheti Tefnakhte (Earth-Two)
- Character Gallery: Hetepkheti Tefnakhte (Earth-Two)
|Doctor Fate Villain(s) |