Hetepkheti Tefnakhte, known also as Khalis, was a priest who lived in the city of Bubastis in ancient Egypt in the year 2030 B.C. Unlike others from the city who worshiped Bast, the cat goddess, Khalis instead worshiped Anubis, the Death God. Anubis gave Khalis an amulet which bestowed great power upon him. Khalis used this power to enslave the people of Bubastis, forcing them to destroy their shrines and erect temples in honor of Anubis. The Lord of Order known as Nabu, took umbrage with Khalis' actions and stripped him of his medallion, and thus, of his power. As punishment, Nabu had Khalis mummified and buried alive.
Khalis remained entombed for centuries, and didn't rise again until 1955 when his sarcophagus was unearthed and delivered to the Boston Museum of Egyptology. Once resurrected, came into conflict with Doctor Fate, the current possessor of the Amulet of Anubis. Khalis was able to temporarily defeat Fate and reclaim his amulet, after which, he used its power to transform a section of Boston into a likeness of ancient Egypt. He summoned Anubis himself to present him with this elaborate gift, but Anubis was unimpressed and didn't even remember who Khalis was. With the help of his wife, Inza Nelson, Doctor Fate learned Khalis true name - Hetepkheti Tefnakhte. In Egyptian culture, knowledge of an opponent's true name grants one power over them. Invoking the power of the sun god Ammon-Ra, Doctor Fate spoke Khalis' true name and was able to destroy him.
The DC Universe heavily changed its continuity into the DCnU following the events of Flashpoint in 2011. This was part of an effort to make storylines more accessible to newer readers, beginning with the New 52. This new timeline combines elements from the DCU, Vertigo Universe and Wildstorm Universe while drastically changing the origins and histories of characters.
In this new timeline, Khalis bears little resemblance to his former self. He becomes a government agent working for S.H.A.D.E. as part of the Creature Commandos unit. This team includes Nina Mazursky, Vincent Velcoro and Warren Griffith. They are commissioned by Father Time and led by top operative Frankenstein. Their first mission takes them to Monster Planet in a sub-dimension known as Dead Space. Khalis uses his massive powers to destroy an entire continent of spider monsters, although this incapacitates him for the rest of the adventure. Their first mission is a success and he is carried home.
Powers and AbilitiesEdit
- Immortality: Khalis was immortal and ceased to age beyond a certain point, although his body demonstrated characteristics akin to that of a living zombie. He also no longer required sleep or sustenance.
Khalis was knowledgeable of Egyptian religious practices as it related to his native time period. By conducting specific rituals, he could summon the spirit of the Lord of the Underworld, Anubis.
Strength Level: As a mummy, Khalis possessed superhuman strength, the full limits of which are unknown.
- Although this character was originally introduced during DC's Earth-Two era of publication, their existence following the events of the 1985-86 limited series Crisis on Infinite Earths remains intact. However, some elements of the character's Pre-Crisis history may have been altered or removed for Post-Crisis New Earth continuity, and should be considered apocryphal.
- 14 Appearances of Hetepkheti Tefnakhte (New Earth)
- 10 Images featuring Hetepkheti Tefnakhte (New Earth)
- Quotations by or about Hetepkheti Tefnakhte (New Earth)
- Character Gallery: Hetepkheti Tefnakhte (New Earth)
Discover and Discuss
- Search this site for:
- Search the Forums for: